PDA

View Full Version : I thought I was qualified,, but...hopeless now

skysla
01-16-2007, 03:43 PM
A few minutes ago... my last hope was dashed...
I thought I was a qualified person for the DREAM Act... But.... I was totally wrong....

I read the article about the DREAM Act at Wikipedia.
It says, "The bill will only be available to those who meet the requirements at the moment the bill is signed, not those who once met the requirment and are no longer eligible, or those will meet the requirements in the future. One must have already met the requirements and not yet aged out on the day the bill is signed."

It means the bill won't be available to people who will meet the requirements in the future (after the bill is signed)
I've been here just for about 2 and a half years. I do not know it will pass or not this year.
If so, I am not qualified... right?

Then, it is meaningless to me...........
I had believed this act would be available to me for more than 2 years.........

This bill was intended to give opportunities to people who had to come to the United States with their parents and without their own decisions and to make those potential immigrants beneficial to this country.

I think this bill must solve the main problem for illegal immigrants' children, but the current one cannot.....

Abaddon
01-16-2007, 03:52 PM
All is not lost. That is why we support a comprehensive immigration plan for all cases. If CIR passes, while DREAM won't help you, I am sure another part of CIR will address your situation.

skysla
01-16-2007, 03:59 PM
CIR?

Comprehensive Immigration Plan?
Do you have any information about it?

steam
01-16-2007, 05:56 PM
yeah..i'm not even remotely qualified for Dream..i can only be saved by CIR and er..God. :D

Cybore
01-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I was in your same position last year, when I had 4 years of stay and was looking at Dream act's requirement of 5. I'm hoping something reasonable is passed, since even those that could 2-3 weeks before they complete their 5th year would be left out. I do believe we should enforce immigrations laws though after any sort of comprehensive reform is passed, all insecurity does it hurt people like ourselves.

Ianus
01-16-2007, 08:16 PM
There is currently no information on the CIR bill that was introduced but since the bill will be focused on the former McCain-Kennedy bill in both the House & Senate it's my guess that the guest-worker provision will require that a person prove that they've been in the country for a Minimum of 2 years in which they can adjust status here after a 6 year work visa permit is up.I would also like to note that the chances for Dream act passing this year are quite high & is still the quicker path to citizenship.

HOPEFULDREAMER
01-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Steam,

Why aren't you qualified for DREAM? Do you have a student visa or something?

skysla
01-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Thank you :)

I hope this year's CIR can help my situation....

Ianus
01-17-2007, 09:19 AM
But, I heard that this one is also similar to the last year's CIR which was passed by the Senate but not the House.
As all of you might know, people who came before January 7, 2004 are...(were) qualified for last years' CIR.
But, if I am correct, this year's CIR will also require the same thing (presence on January 7, 2004).
I know this year's CIR will be "tender" and "more comprehensive" with the negotiation between the Senate and the House.
However, if nothing special changes, my parents or I will not be qualified for this one, either.
(I've already talked about my situation for the Dream Act in the other article)

Lets look at part of last years' CIR.
If this year's one is similar to last year's one, my parents and I won't be qualified.
Even if the CIR requires January 7, 2005 instead of January 7, 2004, I won't be qualified, either, because I was LEGALLY present in January 7, 2005.

By the way, my entry date was July 17, 2004.

I hope those congressmen in Washington D.C. can help me...It should be similar BUT you have to understand that legislation undergoes many changes before it becomes law.Absolutely no one in the U.S can say for sure how things will look,not even the congress men & women themselves.

steam
01-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Steam,

coz i came into US for college, meaning i was above 16yrs old.

thedream
01-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Steam,

coz i came into US for college, meaning i was above 16yrs old.
how did you fall out of status? stopped going to college? didn't renew your I-20?

steam
01-18-2007, 09:32 PM
finished college..never went back home...aka overstayed.

thedream
01-19-2007, 07:31 PM
what do you do now? construction or some other crappy job?

Elmexicano
01-19-2007, 07:36 PM
what do you do now? construction or some other crappy job?

lol what ever it takes to put food on the table :D

steam
01-20-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm the IT Director in a software company...so yeah, it puts food on the table.
Never underestimate the grace of God.

risk
01-20-2007, 02:15 PM
im 26 years old and my brothers 29, are there going to age limit for the deam???