PDA

View Full Version : El Papel The Movie goes to Television Series

jlames
02-05-2007, 12:22 AM
We're completing principle photography on the pilot episode of El Papel and have started script work on the next of the 13 episodes. Each of the episodes deals with a number of subjects, many of which you have brought up here including the DREAM Act. As producers, we don't actually take either side of the subject and so I appreciate your thoughts. Your discussions have gone into the considersations of how we handle the subject of immigration in general but especially undocumented immigrants and hope you'll continue your very honest postings here. The series is going to include a website, the intent of which is to stimulate discussion of the topic. While I don't know what the answer is to the issue, I do know that the only way we'll find one is to publicly consider it. Again, thank you for your comments and please keep the discussion going. The website can be found at www.elpapelthemovie.com.

Also, let me ask the group a question? There have been a number of postings that state that we are well-beyond the time when mass deportation is an option given the consatraints on the American budget and law enfocement manpower. Many go on to say that, if we subscribe to this, the question has to be is it not better to educate the children we have here putting them to work for the United States in the private or public sectors in say the military during and after that education has been completed? In this way we make the best of a bad situation making lemonade out of lemos so to speak. Otherwise, they have only the gangs, violence and crime left to them to survive. What are your thoughts?

GrumpyDreamer
02-11-2007, 04:09 PM
well obviously we're not gang members. It's not going to be a black and white issue of taking us in will be great for the country and not letting us be a part of it will turn us into gang bangers. I don't know what the answer is, but I ain't no cholo

juang
02-11-2007, 04:46 PM
I think this movie is only about this special situation, but yes, not being able to be part of the "Whole America", can lead you be only part of the "Small neirborhood america" where cholos prosper

jlames
02-16-2007, 01:10 AM
No, and there's no cholo. Actually it's about looking for answers to the whole situation by seeing the world as it is instead of how people would like it to be. Besides, the time has long passed for many solutions that remain on the lips of many tody. The world has changed, the solution must change. And that is what El Papel is designed to do. Help make sense, stimulate discussion and provide a forum for that discussion, produce a weekly series done in both Spanish and English that presentes the problems we face as a people and as a nation and above all to take on and correct the misconceptions that for so long have been used as the very ropes that hold a people down. Someone once said that thert ruth will set you free. El Papel is designed to be that truth starting with the availability of medical care and going through things like AB540, in-state tuition and the Dream Act. The series staes unequivocally in the pilot episode that it's not about the neighborhood, it's about the nation. It's your stories brought to the screen every week. And we'd all do well to give it a chance and then, instead of throwing the baby out withy the bath water which is the solution being called for by people like the Minutemen and others, if you find areas you'd like to correct, the let's do that. BUt at least let's see what you think.