PDA

View Full Version : Congress inching closer to immigration reform, lawmakers say

FrankV
02-06-2007, 11:48 AM
WASHINGTON -- Unable last year to bridge a wide gulf on immigration, the House and Senate need to quickly revive work on an issue important to Arkansas workers, families and employers, lawmakers said Wednesday.

A day after President Bush asked Congress to pass a comprehensive immigration bill, Arkansas legislators said they hope one will be enacted this year or next year.

Third District Rep. John Boozman, R-Rogers, said for Congress to succeed, it must pass a bill that cracks down on illegal immigration, yet allows for properly documented migrant workers.

Immigration is a growing issue in the 3rd District, where the Hispanic population has increased dramatically in the past decade.

Differences of opinion about immigration have thus far stalled legislation in Congress. The House and Senate never settled differences between competing bills in 2006, and the bills died when Congress adjourned in December.

Bush, in his State of the Union speech, pushed lawmakers to renew the immigration debate and deliver a compromise bill to him.

That may be tough, at least without the president's help, said, Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark.

"I think this is the classic case of where the president needs to lead," Pryor said Wednesday. "I really think if immigration reform is going to pass this year or next year, the president is going to have to be very active."

The divide over immigration transcends party lines, with Bush, a Republican, fighting many in his own party over how to handle the millions of illegal immigrants already in this country.

"My sense is if we all work hard, we can find some common ground," Pryor said.

The chasm involved providing a path to citizenship for illegals already in the country. The Senate plan included a process for illegal immigrants to become citizens. The House measure did not include that provision.

"It is a very emotional issue and one where there are a lot of different people with different ideas," said 4th District Rep. Mike Ross, D-Prescott. "It's more than a two-dimensional issue."

Boozman said controversy over the status of illegals immigrants should be discussed only after the country properly secures its borders. Last year, Congress authorized a 700-mile fence along sections of the border between the United States and Mexico.

Also, U.S. Border Patrol ranks are doubling in order to fight the influx of people and drugs over the border, and Bush authorized National Guard troops to patrol areas along the Rio Grande.

Boozman and Ross said Congress should invest in equipment that gives employers the ability to check Social Security numbers and immediately determine if a worker is legal.

"I think one of the first things we ought to do is better use 21st century technology, then go after the employers," who continue to hire illegals, Ross said. "That's really the reason they're coming here, for the work."

Boozman said he supports English as the official language, since language is "what binds us" as a country.

Any immigration reform should also increase the number of legal immigrants allowed into the country as unskilled workers, Boozman said. The current cap is 5,000 per year.

Arkansas industries and farms that need unskilled labor are poorly served by the cap, he added.

"There's always going to be a need for migrant labor, especially for our farm families," Ross said. "I'm for ensuring that the farm families have access to documented workers, at whatever level is needed to meet the needs of the farm families of Arkansas."