PDA

View Full Version : airplane

hooper
02-14-2007, 07:12 PM
I have to use the airplane to go on a business trip. I was wondering what I need to have to get on an airplane. I won't travel outside of the US only to other states. I will be traveling with the school district, so is it possible I can push some strings? or are they really strict on airplane traveling.

risk
02-14-2007, 08:48 PM
hmm ive traveled to california from new york city few times, and all i brought was a passport annd it worked fine for me. as long as your passport isnt expired you can use that.

tays123
02-16-2007, 02:10 AM
Are you guys sure about this? I have a non expired passport but I thought u needed a non expired VISA on your passport as well.

hooper
02-16-2007, 02:26 PM
All I have is a passport and a matricula. I'm wondering the same thing.

Nick
02-16-2007, 02:51 PM
I have a friend who travels NY - LA and back at least once a year, he's undocumented. I'll ask him next time I see him.

Ianus
02-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Under TSA rules as long as you hold a valid passport you should be fine to travel.However,depending on how close the airport is that you will be starting out from or ending your journey at is close to the border could pose some problems.ICE & the BP have been known to do random checks on individuals at airports close to the Mexican or Canadian borders.

risk
02-16-2007, 08:57 PM
im 100 percent sure man. ivebeen to cali 3 times using my passport. as long as its goverment issued id, then its fine. i was a bit worried at first showing them my passpport but as soon as they saw my name matching the ticket issued name they were ok by it. just make sure its not expired.

tays123
02-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Everybody is talking about a Valid Passport but... We are talking about a Valid FOREIGN Passport with out any valid US Visa right?
I just want to clear it up!

Thank You

tays123
02-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Under TSA rules as long as you hold a valid passport you should be fine to travel.However,depending on how close the airport is that you will be starting out from or ending your journey at is close to the border could pose some problems.ICE & the BP have been known to do random checks on individuals at airports close to the Mexican or Canadian borders.

What doe ICE adn BP stand for?

rock steady
02-17-2007, 01:35 AM
ICE = Immigration and Customs Enforcement
BP = Border Patrol

steam
02-17-2007, 02:40 AM
i wish i could get a valid foreign passport..i can't renew mine coz in the form they asked me for proof of status that i'm supposed to be here... :(

...so i couldn't leave even if i wanted to.. :twisted:

hooper
02-17-2007, 03:56 AM
I only have a valid foreign passport. I don't have any US issued ID's.

Nick
02-17-2007, 12:30 PM
i wish i could get a valid foreign passport..i can't renew mine coz in the form they asked me for proof of status that i'm supposed to be here... :(

...so i couldn't leave even if i wanted to.. :twisted:

Exactly the same story here steam.

tays123
02-17-2007, 04:01 PM
I think I would still take the train if I need to travel since I am not fully convinced that I can take the plane. Everybody says government issued ID but it doesnt say if it is US government or any government issued ID. I know I sound paranoid but heck, you know it is hard to ben in our shoes!

risk
02-17-2007, 04:42 PM
yes i have a foreign issued passport. and i am not documentated but i was able to get a passport from my foreign embassy, because i needed a non expired goverment issued id. geeeeeez why are you guys so paranoid??? you think theyll just grab you guys at the airport and deport you back??

steam
02-18-2007, 12:40 AM
riight...so what do i tell them or show them when they ask about my status?...scratch my butt?

risk
02-18-2007, 04:01 PM
why would they ask you about your status at an airport, when your traveling domestically??? you think theyre going to ask someone about their status if they show a driver license as their id?? erf. your reply.. wasteland!

HOPEFULDREAMER
02-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Because the 9/11 hijackers where traveling domestically as well. They also had driver's licenses as ID when they got into those planes.

Like my dad says, "All it takes is just one racist to see a Hispanic surname and say 'Show me your passport'".

And if that happens and you don't have the I-551 stamped in the back, you're, for lack of a better term, screwed. :x

tays123
02-18-2007, 09:04 PM
I dont know you are being hostile against us?! I have been told for years that I cannot board a domestic plane if I dont have a valid US visa on my passport. So does anybody want to contact the Transportation Security Agency and clear this up for all of us?

Thank You

risk
02-18-2007, 09:22 PM
ok i was just trying to help out thats all. all i was implying was from my experience from boarding on a flight from jfk to lax and vice versa, i had never had any problems with my foreign passport. all they did was check my name listed on my passport and matched it on my plane tixx. they did not turn my pages on my passport or any other matter. ive gone on 3 trips to to the west coast in 03, 05, and january of 06 and not once did i have a problem. im undocumented but had no problem boarding domestic flights in america. if you go to jetblue's website or any other site, it jus states a goverment issued id thats all, and clearly does not state any visa info in regards to domestic flight. if you really wanna find out give them a call and ask, im sure theyll tell you the same thing.

tays123
02-18-2007, 11:58 PM
ok i was just trying to help out thats all. all i was implying was from my experience from boarding on a flight from jfk to lax and vice versa, i had never had any problems with my foreign passport. all they did was check my name listed on my passport and matched it on my plane tixx. they did not turn my pages on my passport or any other matter. ive gone on 3 trips to to the west coast in 03, 05, and january of 06 and not once did i have a problem. im undocumented but had no problem boarding domestic flights in america. if you go to jetblue's website or any other site, it jus states a goverment issued id thats all, and clearly does not state any visa info in regards to domestic flight. if you really wanna find out give them a call and ask, im sure theyll tell you the same thing.

Alright bud that is more informative! I am planning another trip across country and I am literally tired of the train ordeal. I think I am gonna take a chance and try to fly next time!

Thank You

Abaddon
02-19-2007, 12:03 AM
I am very tired of the train too... :(

Reid
02-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Well, let me get this straight, people still have random checks right?

Even if you are tired of the plane, wouldn't it make more sense to not risk it?

hooper
02-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I cannot take the train because it's too slow. I need to take a plane to NY and then back. I was just wondering if I can use my Mexican embassy issued passport. And what else I might need. Do they just ask for a passport? or do I also need an ID, and what type of ID are the accepting.

juang
02-21-2007, 01:29 AM
hooper, get a webcam and have an internet conference with those in NY.

just kidding :-)

tays123
02-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Thank you for your e-mail concerning proper identification for traveling.

If you have a paper ticket for a domestic flight, passengers age 18 and over must present one form of photo identification issued by a local state of federal government agency (e.g.: passport, drivers license. Military ID, current student ID with photo), or two forms of non-photo identification, one of which must have been issued by a state or federal agency (e.g.: U.S. social security card). For an international flight, you will need to present a valid passport, visa, or any other required documentation.

Passengers without proper ID may be subjected to additional screening or even be denied boarding.

Please visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

TSA Contact Center

tays123
02-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Thank you for your e-mail concerning proper identification for traveling.

If you have a paper ticket for a domestic flight, passengers age 18 and over must present one form of photo identification issued by a local state of federal government agency (e.g.: passport, drivers license. Military ID, current student ID with photo), or two forms of non-photo identification, one of which must have been issued by a state or federal agency (e.g.: U.S. social security card). For an international flight, you will need to present a valid passport, visa, or any other required documentation.

Passengers without proper ID may be subjected to additional screening or even be denied boarding.

Please visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

TSA Contact Center

Doest NOT say anything about foreign passport though! My student ID expired in JUNE!!!! BLAH!!!

hooper
02-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Yeah that's the thing, I don't know if they accept foreign passports.

Nick
02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Some student id's dont have an expiration date, so those wont fly that easy (read at all). All the student ids I had did not have an expiration date and I pretty much could not use them for anything. An id with no expiration date is not an id.

hooper
04-22-2007, 06:53 PM
I just got back from NY and I had no trouble getting on the airplane. All I used was my passport and my student ID.

Well, as a note, my student ID is a government issued ID. I don't know if that was the reason.

Dan
04-23-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm flying this Wednesday morning to Florida from New Jersey using nothing but a Student ID.

Granted...

- I look white.
- It'll be 6:30 in the morning, so I severely doubt the person at the counter is gonna be at their prime.
- It's a school trip. I'm traveling with 92 other American citizens (assuming no one else is illegal), all under a high school, which is both state and federally-supported.

Hopefully, I shouldn't have too much trouble. Especially since we were all instructed to bring along student IDs.

cestlavie
04-23-2007, 07:08 PM
so the plastic id they give you at school (highschool)is govt issued? shouldn't u bring ur foreign passport. i really want to go to atlanta this summer to visit my cousin, but i really don't want to get in trouble. my last name is as american as it can get, maybe that'll help? and i don't look foreign but i do have a bit of an accent

hooper
04-23-2007, 07:15 PM
You do need a passport. I don't know if they will accept your school ID. They accepted mine though. Call

GREENAPPLE96
04-23-2007, 08:11 PM
I think its a little different everywhere. I travel from los angeles to Missouri often and passport is just fine. I used my school id once from Missouri to LA and i had no problem but from LA to MO they needed my passport. Also if you leave from the smaller airports sometimes they dont even check! Instead of leaving or arriving to LAX i book burbank and longbeach which are smaller airports. I think it makes a difference.

Dan
04-23-2007, 09:26 PM
The school specifically instructed us to bring nothing else but a student ID.

They made arrangements. Gave the boarding station a list of names of all the people going, etc.

Alls I know is, eh... I know a few illegals in the crowd that've flown with the school before. Hopefully nothing goes awry.

Latina~Hispana
04-24-2007, 02:04 AM
all i can say is good luck!! Be careful, and I'm still not sure if i would be confident enough to risk it.

GREENAPPLE96
04-24-2007, 03:58 PM
The school specifically instructed us to bring nothing else but a student ID.

They made arrangements. Gave the boarding station a list of names of all the people going, etc.

Alls I know is, eh... I know a few illegals in the crowd that've flown with the school before. Hopefully nothing goes awry.

DONT sweat it then if thats all they want from you then thats all you need! have fun and frankly i would focus on the trip, u'll realize you are tinking about it too much. Just dont do anything dumnb like sneakout in the middle of the night or hire prostitudes...i knew someone who did that in a school trip obvi0ously their issues were way bigger! :wink:

frbc13
04-24-2007, 05:32 PM
dont hire prostitutes! bring to the hotel all the girls you meet at the club, it's cheaper.

cestlavie
04-24-2007, 10:26 PM
dan is in higschool he's only 16! lol what club is he gonna go to? what prostitutes is he going to hire BE CAREFUL tho hmmmmmm i guess what would scare me the most would be them checking on their little computer and finding out i don't even have a ssn and say infront of my teacher and classmates and the security guards taking me to ask me a lot of questions and then, deporting me

frbc13
04-24-2007, 10:52 PM
im kidding man!!! he's not going to do that it's just a joke. All of us gotta be careful!!! I mean i do it but that's because I'm over 18 and crazy!!! :D

jfanii
04-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I travel a lot using a plane (about 6 times a year). I always suppplied a foreign visa every time I approach a security check-point. I never got any problem until one incident last year when I presented my vistor visa which isnt expired, and I was asked if I had a permit. I freaked out because it was the first time they had ever asked me the question, and the first time I was without a permit!

My dad who was there with me basically told me to get out of there out of a fear I'd get deported. We headed back to Mexico and obtained a permit and went back to the airport the following day. I was allowed to be aboard, but they never asked me for a permit! Ironic, isn't it?

Just to be safe, supply a government-issed visa (even that of the United States) along with a permit.

Dan
04-30-2007, 02:29 AM
Yeah, so I flew from Newark International in NJ to Orlando International in Florida... ABSOLUTELY no problems at all.

They hardly even checked the ID. Definitely not taking that for granted in the future, though.

- Dan

cestlavie
04-30-2007, 11:13 PM
jfanii what you said is hella dumb if my visa wasn't expired and my permit wasn't expired then i wouldn't be in this country illegaly! my visa is expired, my permit is expired, my passport is expired, that is what makes me illegal. i mean seriously what the hell?

hooper
05-01-2007, 03:39 AM
lol that made me laugh. All you need is a valid passport and a student ID.

thedream
05-09-2007, 12:02 AM
lol..that was funny
btw, dan... are you a senior? cause it sounds like you went to grad nite (or grad bash).lol...
i was there too btw.. but i live just an hour away from disney.. so... thankfully i didn't have to board a plane

Dan
05-09-2007, 12:24 AM
lol..that was funny
btw, dan... are you a senior? cause it sounds like you went to grad nite (or grad bash).lol...
i was there too btw.. but i live just an hour away from disney.. so... thankfully i didn't have to board a plane

Sophomore. I went on a music competition. Hit up Blizzard Beach, MGM, Magic Kingdom, and both Universal Parks (one day for each) for only $950, plus a stay at a five-star hotel.

Pretty sweet deal.

polish imigrant
05-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I didnt really read your question, but all I know is that me and my parents go on vacation by plane almost every year and were always fine. They have a license though.

steam
05-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I didnt really read your question, but all I know is that me and my parents go on vacation by plane almost every year and were always fine. They have a license though.

...duh..

hooper
05-10-2007, 06:07 PM
lol I was going to say the same thing too.