PDA

View Full Version : Hi New Member Here

tdapf
05-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Ever since I heard about the Dream Act progress in Congress, I have been surfing the news and the internet to keep me updated on the latest news; therefore I am really glad I stumbled across this site. I have found it very informational and I am sure to find the latest information posted here. I also like the idea that everyone here is rallying for the same purpose.

Anyways. Here is a little something about myself.

I been in the US illegally for the past 17 yrs. My parents brought me over when I was 6. I graduated from college with a bachelor of science in chemical engineering.
I got lucky in the fact that the bill that allowed me to go to college paying resident tuition passed the year I graduated high school. I remember dreading my senior year and staying up nights as graduation approached wondering what I was going to do if I couldn't go to college . I wanted to be an engineer ever since I was in the sixth grade, and every day closer to my graduation I saw it as a death sentence to my dream. I didn't apply anywhere because I knew I couldn't afford it until a month before graduation (this was all thanks to my high school counselor who really bent herself backwards in trying to help me).
Now, however, due to my situation, I am facing another obstacle. I am currently unemployed and with no possibility of getting a job. Sometimes, when I get down, I feel as if my education is going to waste. I seriously considered going back to my home country to see if I could get a job there but the idea of going to an unknown country to an unknown situation and without knowing nobody over there really depresses and overwhelms me. Therefore, I instead decided to apply for a masters in petroleum engineering while waiting to see if any progress occurs with the DREAM Act. Hopefully something will happen because sometimes I can't stand my current idle state (hopefully I get into graduate school so this can change) and the idea of going back really scares me since I have only known America as my home.

rock steady
05-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Welcome! I can really empathize with your situation. I received my Bachelor's last year and have spent the last year doing odd jobs for money. I commend you on pursuing graduate school. Some of us here are in the same boat, and have or are pursuing graduate studies. Just keep holding on. We might just win this year.

jfanii
05-31-2007, 01:23 AM
I agree. Don't lose hope.

Best of luck to you and welcome.

frbc13
05-31-2007, 07:52 AM
Welcome.......with that degree you're already a winner now just imagine when they pass Dream and you get your Masters, wow a lot of doors are going to open to you.

Sayuri Jane
05-31-2007, 11:17 PM
welcome fellow newbie :D
what i hate the most about being and feeling like an "alien" is all those citizens i went to school with that don't want to go to college or do anything with their lives. specially the ones that complain about discrimination, or being from the ghetto. i wish i was from the ghetto and had an SS in my pocket :lol: , Gosh, i'd settle for a driver's license (suxx having a car you can't drive :roll: )
we are like the worst kind of ghetto, kinda like the underground (but future leaders ghettos), lol!

tdapf
06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Thank you guys for all for comments.

I got my acceptance letter yesterday and I am excited I am going to do something more productive with my time.

Africana I know exactly how you feel. My little sister and my cousins, all of who were born here and are currently in high school, care nothing about college even though they have every opportunity open for them if they would just put in a little effort. All they care about is about is having enough minutes on their cell phones to talk and chat with their friends. Sometimes I strongly believe that they only go to school to socialize. It frustrates me so much :evil: . Because I see this, sometimes I am thankful about my situation because it makes me not take things for granted and it puts my priorities in order. I hate to think that I would have become like my sister and my cousins.

HOPEFULDREAMER
06-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Congrats on your acceptance!! Welcome :D

tdapf
06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks HOPEFULDREAMER.

free2be
06-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Thank you guys for all for comments.

I got my acceptance letter yesterday and I am excited I am going to do something more productive with my time.

Africana I know exactly how you feel. My little sister and my cousins, all of who were born here and are currently in high school, care nothing about college even though they have every opportunity open for them if they would just put in a little effort. All they care about is about is having enough minutes on their cell phones to talk and chat with their friends. Sometimes I strongly believe that they only go to school to socialize. It frustrates me so much :evil: . Because I see this, sometimes I am thankful about my situation because it makes me not take things for granted and it puts my priorities in order. I hate to think that I would have become like my sister and my cousins.

Yay! I'm so happy you got accepted; sounds like you really deserve it. I totally agree with what you said about your sister and cousins because I see it all the time. It does inspire to do better and to overcome the odds, and I think our situations have made us all stronger, more mature people, which is something this country can't take away from us. Besides, at the end of all this, we'll all probobly know way too much about American Government, especially Congress! So I suppose we can all look at it this way: we may be in hard times now, but the knowledge and experience we are gaining from this situation will only help us make our lives better, no matter where we end up.

Oh yeah, and welcome!

Zodiak
06-13-2007, 04:01 AM
Welcome tdapf, Happy to have you here mate.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Keep going. I always tell myself "No good effort is ever lost."

I also feel like you sometimes and I'm also glad sometimes to be in this situation. It has taught me a lot. I've learned to value the important things in life, to be clear on my goals.

Keep going, keep moving ahead and..

Keep your head up mate, we are gonna get through this.

- Zodiak