PDA

View Full Version : Son of an E2 VISA holder here

bombas238
06-09-2007, 02:32 AM
And I recently turned 21 :(

Been in the US for over 10 years legally and now I'm out of papers. I've had a brutal time applying to Medical School as an international, even with very competitive GPA/MCAT/ECs. I can't apply as a resident or even stay in the only home I have anymore because I don't have a 9-digit number to tag myself with.

I struggle to continue doing things the legal way with further VISA applications, but it seems the DREAM act may end up being my one hope for the future.

My sympathies to all of you from Texas

Sayuri Jane
06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
And I recently turned 21 :(

Been in the US for over 10 years legally and now I'm out of papers. I've had a brutal time applying to Medical School as an international, even with very competitive GPA/MCAT/ECs. I can't apply as a resident or even stay in the only home I have anymore because I don't have a 9-digit number to tag myself with.

I struggle to continue doing things the legal way with further VISA applications, but it seems the DREAM act may end up being my one hope for the future.

My sympathies to all of you from Texashey i'm jealous, 10 years? i barely remember ever being legal :lol:
why not try applying as a citizen and not apply for/accept scholarships? and as far as the 9digit#, i made up my own before receiving an itin# (which i use as my SS#)
i feel for u and i hope things will work out soon, please don't give up.

rock steady
06-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I know that Africana's suggestions were made in good faith, but I would not recommend claiming that you are a U.S. citizen to receive benefits. Also, as we have seen during the debate wherein Senators were trying to add amendments that penalized people for cases of social security fraud, I would also discourage anyone from falsifying an SSN on an application. I've been illegal for over 20 years now, and I was able to apply and be admitted to law school. I was very frank with the schools I applied to and even made my struggle the theme of my personal statement. Of course my course of action is subject to personal discretion. I left my SSN blank. In fact, I believe the schools now ask for, in the case of law school applicants, the LSAC identification number. I'm sure whatever database service is used for med school applicants will have their own identification number.

Good luck on your applications, and we'll be hoping for the best!

Sayuri Jane
06-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I know that Africana's suggestions were made in good faith, but I would not recommend claiming that you are a U.S. citizen to receive benefits. Also, as we have seen during the debate wherein Senators were trying to add amendments that penalized people for cases of social security fraud, I would also discourage anyone from falsifying an SSN on an application. I've been illegal for over 20 years now, and I was able to apply and be admitted to law school. I was very frank with the schools I applied to and even made my struggle the theme of my personal statement. Of course my course of action is subject to personal discretion. I left my SSN blank. In fact, I believe the schools now ask for, in the case of law school applicants, the LSAC identification number. I'm sure whatever database service is used for med school applicants will have their own identification number.

Good luck on your applications, and we'll be hoping for the best!oh no, i am not suggesting that he claims citizenship to get benefits. i told him to try fill in the citizen box on his med school apps and pay out of pocket (that is what i did).