PDA

View Full Version : Hi, just found this site

sprcrstntr
07-16-2007, 03:30 AM
So a little about myself; I'm 19 years old and live in SoCal. I came, or rather my parents brought me here when I was 2 years old. I have no memory of my birthplace, Chihuahua, Mexico. I grew up speaking more English than Spanish and integrating more American culture rather than that of my parents, although now that I'm older I hold true to my Mexican roots. I found out I was an illegal immigrant when I asked my parents to allow me to go on a field trip to NY and DC with my seventh grade history class and they explained to me that even though the trip was being subsidized I couldn't fly because then the "migra" would catch me. So I continued to grow up withdrawing myself from participating in different activities, but I always dreamed of going to college. That was something I was not gonna let pass right by me. So I did good in school and got into the College of Engineering at UC Berkeley were Im going for my second year. The thing is I lived in Colorado during the second half of tenth grade so on top of not being able to get financial aid, they threw on and extra no resident tuition. Its now a month before school starts and with tuition increase im farther away from coming up with the money to pay for my tuition. I just hope the Dream Act passes soon. Just wanted so share my story because I realized there are others like me and we are not alone.

Nick
07-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Welcome. As you I find it harder and harder to come up with the money for tuition. For the last semester I payed a month after it was over, I'm surprised they didnt kick me out.

azdreamer
07-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I was born in chihuahua too :D

and welcome!

memo2940
07-19-2007, 03:26 AM
Hello, I'm from Chihuahua, too. I also find myself in your situation.