PDA

View Full Version : Hello.

redranger88
08-13-2007, 06:54 PM
My name is Francisco and I'm from Chicago, Illnois. I'm currently enrolled in the University of Illinois at Chicago. It was my freshman year of high school when my friend and me went to the main office and asked how we could obtain work permits. We were eager to work and get all the girls. I had everything ready I just needed my social security number and I was set. My mom told me i didn't have one. Slowly, every day afterwards, the significance of my mom telling me I don't have a SSN has grown and become more ridiculous.. I was brought here when i was about ten months. My sister is about two years younger than me. She was born here. Just recently she was hired at Subway and went to the DMV to acquire her Driver's License. I feel desolated and worthless at various times of the day. I know it isnt' true but it's just so overwhealming, especially not knowing anybody else in my situation. I'm so glad that this site exist and that I'm not alone. My major is film. My parents have been working very hard to pay for my schooling. When, not if, when this DREAM Act passes I'll be folowing my dream and have my family in mind every step on the way there. It's pretty funny. This is information I thought I would never share with anybody, now I'm sharing it with a bunch of strangers, but I feel good. I feel better.

OptimistinDenial
08-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Welcome, don't feel bad. Even in the worst case, there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Argentino
08-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the forum

alejandra
08-13-2007, 09:00 PM
welcome to the forum, i just recently joined also, and im glad that im not alone in this and there are others like me but im sure that we are going to get through this phase of life, and one day i will just look back and remember all this as a tough situation that made me a stronger person, and i will be a great business woman.... let's keep the hopes up guys, next month we'll make it...

The Voice heard
08-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Welcome Iv'e been here over a week now and what can I say i love this site it has given me hope and strength to keep on fighting for the dream.

"There's got to be more to life if God exists"

califoniadreamin'
08-13-2007, 10:58 PM
welcome!

Like you, I also have sisters that were born here. One of them has had several jobs, opened her bank account, started acquiring credit....and to tell you the truth.......I am very happy for her. In fact, I encourage her do such things, just recently I encouraged her to register to vote...and guess what.......she'll be voting for politicians that are sympathetic to our cause just like many of the new citizens and those applying for citizenship this year.

Do not feel worthless, feel proud that she can do those things.....work, drive, etc... and believe with all your heart that pretty soon we are going to be doing the same things.

Smile

ucgirl
08-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Welcome! I know exactly how you feel. All my friends in college are all driving and studying abroad. I am left figuring out millions of excuses to tell them for why I can't go with them or why I don't have my license. Don't let it get to you because we have all been there.

redranger88
08-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Wow, this site is something else. Thank you so much for reminding me i'm not alone. All our stories are so alike. It drives me crazy when i hear all those stuborn people not wanting the Dream Act passing because they can't get pass the fact that we are undocumented. Why can't they just stop and think for one bleeding second and put themselves in our shoes.

HOPEFULDREAMER
08-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Welcome! :D

hrvatica13
08-14-2007, 06:18 PM
welcome! good to see another chicagoan here :)

Latina~Hispana
08-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi!!
Good to know you joined the crusade. :D

free2be
08-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Welcome! Hey, sign the petition in Taking Action and get a free cupcake! (It might be a year delay or two, but I guarantee you'll get it!) ;)

Princess_consuela
08-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Hi, I'm a junior in CA. I'm smart and a nice person, since I was little everyone's said "you're gonna be great", "You'll have colleges begging for you", and "you can do it all". I believed this until I was about 8 or 9, when I dawned on me that I might not. However, it never really hit me till 8th grade, everyday since I started thinking about college it's been hell, especially now in high school. My friends are also really bright, but they are born here. I feel so much pain to think about having to lie to them and make up excuses why I'm not getting my driver's permit, work permit, or why I'm not gonna even try to fundraise for a Euro trip. I hate having to think about watching them go to Ivy leagues and be disappointed at whatever school I go to. I came here almost 15 years ago, I know nothing of Mexico, I'm American. My life is here and I love this country, but I hate that it rejects me and all others just for our place of birth. WE didn't choose to come here like we did, I thank my parents every day for bringing me but sometimes I feel like they put a weight on my back that I don't know if I'm strong enough to handle. Having to see my family struggle as they do for things others take for granted makes me feel horrible. I have a younger sister that was born here, everytime someone offers her something that I can't have, I feel happy but can't help but feel envy.

I have no idea what I'll do if the Dream Act doesn't pass. We all have the potential to help this country, it's stupid for us to be denied that just because we're "illegal". first of all it wasn't our choice and second of all, we deserve it.

It feels so good talking about this.

Tasksgirl
08-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Just start calling your senators and that can help !! :D

SDgrad
09-19-2007, 09:59 PM
My name is Francisco and I'm from Chicago, Illnois. I'm currently enrolled in the University of Illinois at Chicago. It was my freshman year of high school when my friend and me went to the main office and asked how we could obtain work permits. We were eager to work and get all the girls. I had everything ready I just needed my social security number and I was set. My mom told me i didn't have one. Slowly, every day afterwards, the significance of my mom telling me I don't have a SSN has grown and become more ridiculous.. I was brought here when i was about ten months. My sister is about two years younger than me. She was born here. Just recently she was hired at Subway and went to the DMV to acquire her Driver's License. I feel desolated and worthless at various times of the day. I know it isnt' true but it's just so overwhealming, especially not knowing anybody else in my situation. I'm so glad that this site exist and that I'm not alone. My major is film. My parents have been working very hard to pay for my schooling. When, not if, when this DREAM Act passes I'll be folowing my dream and have my family in mind every step on the way there. It's pretty funny. This is information I thought I would never share with anybody, now I'm sharing it with a bunch of strangers, but I feel good. I feel better.

Yep, doesn't it feel amazing to share your story? Yes.

anitagreencard
09-19-2007, 10:18 PM
hey welcome. I'm also a videography geek! 8)