PDA

View Full Version : heyy guys im new here

yasyas
10-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey guys...

This is my story...
My parents came here when I was 7 and of course overstayed our visa. My petitioner-grandfather died, so our petition died too... so we had to leave. I'm 20 years old and I've been following the Dream Act since I can remember. I found out I was illegal when I was younger but I didn't know what it actually meant til I asked my mom if I can work, drive, etc when I was 16. I thought something would pass after high school... but no... hopefully after college. I'm from California so I benefit from AB540... but after college I don't know. I lead a normal life and none of my friends or boyfriend know about my situation. I'd like to tell my boyfriend at least, but I don't know where to start.. we're pretty serious. Currently, I have some paperwork in process and I am able to drivetemporarily--but not have an ID. It sucks being invisible, being in limbo. Like you guys, I want to work, grow, learn.

I pray and pray the Dream Act passes this year.

laneDearIhope?
10-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey guys...

This is my story...
My parents came here when I was 7 and of course overstayed our visa. My petitioner-grandfather died, so our petition died too... so we had to leave.

welcome to dap!!!...did u leave the country and come back?

Tasksgirl
10-01-2007, 04:42 PM
omg you have to tell your boyfriend !!

dreaminwithfaith
10-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Welcome! Where are you in CA?

Mbluparadise
10-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Welcome.... I'm in Cali myself. I have never told any of my ex-bf's about my situation either...... oh yeah!, one of them, probably the only one who i was actually "serious" with.

Sayuri Jane
10-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey guys...

This is my story...
My parents came here when I was 7 and of course overstayed our visa. My petitioner-grandfather died, so our petition died too... so we had to leave. I'm 20 years old and I've been following the Dream Act since I can remember. I found out I was illegal when I was younger but I didn't know what it actually meant til I asked my mom if I can work, drive, etc when I was 16. I thought something would pass after high school... but no... hopefully after college. I'm from California so I benefit from AB540... but after college I don't know. I lead a normal life and none of my friends or boyfriend know about my situation. I'd like to tell my boyfriend at least, but I don't know where to start.. we're pretty serious. Currently, I have some paperwork in process and I am able to drivetemporarily--but not have an ID. It sucks being invisible, being in limbo. Like you guys, I want to work, grow, learn.

I pray and pray the Dream Act passes this year. welcome to the DAP. you know if you can trust your BF w/ your secret or not. if you think you can, then you should definitely tell him.

HOPEFULDREAMER
10-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey guys...

This is my story...

Yeah, I know how you feel about the whole boyfriend thing. It took me forever and a day to tell mine. It was the best decision I've ever made. I actually HAD to tell him since I wouldn't be able to attend a 4 year university because of my status [FL doesn't have an in-state tuition law] and I knew he would be asking me why I wasn't progressing with my education. I just blurted it out to him and it was wonderful from there on out...there's no need to hide anything anymore :D.

BTW, Welcome! :D

Sparklepouf
10-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Definitely tell your bf. You'll be surprised how supportive people can be - even if they're not in your position. I've been with my bf for almost five years and he knew from the start.

MariaG1987
10-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Welcome to DAP! I also think you should tell your boyfriend if you guys are pretty serious. I told mine from the start.. it was so hard to do it but it was worth it. At first he was completely shocked, but he was fully supportive and continues to be so. As someone else said, you'll be surprised how many people are supportive and understanding of our situation. :D

thedream
10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
ehh. if you don't feel comfortable telling him, keep it to yourself. imo.

pingpong abyss
10-02-2007, 03:35 AM
Welcome.

yasyas
10-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Hey guys...

This is my story...
My parents came here when I was 7 and of course overstayed our visa. My petitioner-grandfather died, so our petition died too... so we had to leave.

welcome to dap!!!...did u leave the country and come back?

noo we just got deportation(i hate this word) orders but just stayed anyways =/

yasyas
10-02-2007, 04:17 AM
omg you have to tell your boyfriend !!

I'm scared --- what can he do???

yasyas
10-02-2007, 04:17 AM

San Francisco

Jourbalist
10-02-2007, 04:21 AM

San Francisco

I live in SF too!

yasyas
10-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Thank you thank you thank you all welcoming me.

My boyfriend.. is awesome.. i love hm. But I don't think he can do anything... or will try to do something, but I know he can't do anything. I don't want him to feel sorry for me or look at me strangely...

I actually told my ex bf and he actually used it against me (he's a horrible person-- but nothing happened)... so that is why I think things are better left unsaid. He can give me the hookup to a FANTASTIC internship but I keep saying, "noo. . . no . . I can't this year.. maybe next." It sucks guys. I know you all understand. My life is normal from the outside... but I know I'm living a lie =(. I hate lying to him.

Thank you again for ALL the responses...

Jourbalist
10-02-2007, 04:28 AM

My boyfriend.. is awesome.. i love hm. But I don't think he can do anything... or will try to do something, but I know he can't do anything. I don't want him to feel sorry for me or look at me strangely...

I actually told my ex bf and he actually used it against me (he's a horrible person-- but nothing happened)... so that is why I think things are better left unsaid. He can give me the hookup to a FANTASTIC internship but I keep saying, "noo. . . no . . I can't this year.. maybe next." It sucks guys. I know you all understand. My life is normal from the outside... but I know I'm living a lie =(. I hate lying to him.

But, we're still lucky that we're here. CA is gracious, and Sf might issue ID cards... Maybe that will make us feel a bit more normal! Being illegal isn't a sickness, so don't feel that your friends or bf will look at you strangely. I told my friends and they just told me it was unfortunate (in a nice way) and moved on.

yasyas
10-02-2007, 04:33 AM

But, we're still lucky that we're here. CA is gracious, and Sf might issue ID cards... Maybe that will make us feel a bit more normal! Being illegal isn't a sickness, so don't feel that your friends or bf will look at you strangely. I told my friends and they just told me it was unfortunate (in a nice way) and moved on.

Yes you are absolutely right! We ARE lucky and I did hear about that in San Francisco.. What part of SF are you from???

Jourbalist
10-02-2007, 03:24 PM

Yes you are absolutely right! We ARE lucky and I did hear about that in San Francisco.. What part of SF are you from???

i'm in the fillmore

yasyas
10-03-2007, 01:50 AM

i'm in the fillmore

do you go to any schools?

Jourbalist
10-03-2007, 01:54 AM

i'm in the fillmore

do you go to any schools?

i'm at sfsu. how about you?

yasyas
10-03-2007, 02:09 AM
i go to sfsu also! cool =) what grade and major?

im a junior - business

Jourbalist
10-03-2007, 02:45 AM

im a junior - business

=D finally, that goes to sfsu! but anyway, i'm a freshie, majoring in radio/television broadcasting. i graduated from wash this past june. i have a lot of friends majoring in business.

yasyas
10-03-2007, 02:47 AM

im a junior - business

=D finally, that goes to sfsu! but anyway, i'm a freshie, majoring in radio/television broadcasting. i graduated from wash this past june. i have a lot of friends majoring in business.

ohhh cool aww man i feel old!

hey im wondering.. howcome you're not going to city?? the instate tuition is much lower.. i went to community college for two years and saved my family a bunch of money!

my bf is a beca major too =)

Jourbalist
10-03-2007, 02:51 AM

im a junior - business

hey im wondering.. howcome you're not going to city?? the instate tuition is much lower.. i went to community college for two years and saved my family a bunch of money!

i applied to sfsu earlier and got in, so i might as well go there. i heard that city is crowded, so that's why i didnt go.

is your bf in the same grade as you?

yasyas
10-03-2007, 02:55 AM

im a junior - business

i applied to sfsu earlier and got in, so i might as well go there. i heard that city is crowded, so that's why i didnt go.

is your bf in the same grade as you?

yep we're old. i heard city was crowded too but sfsu is also very very crowded... but if you're organized then you'll be fine.

Jourbalist
10-03-2007, 02:59 AM
i'm doing well so far, i think... but yeah i'm very organized and cant wait get thru my first sem

yasyas
10-03-2007, 03:01 AM
i'm doing well so far, i think... but yeah i'm very organized and cant wait get thru my first sem

cool! just wondering are you a chick or a dude? and what nationality are you?

Jourbalist
10-03-2007, 12:05 PM

i'm a chick! my username is female-sounding =D i'm asian

yasyas
10-03-2007, 12:18 PM

i'm a chick! my username is female-sounding =D i'm asian

haha yeah but theres a pic of a boy underneath your name! cool im filipino

Jourbalist
10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Lol, it's Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes! Funny comic strip, you should read it!