PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everyone I am new here. This is my story...

LFP88
10-01-2007, 08:50 PM
I was brought here at the age of 7 from Colombia. I've been living in New York for 13 years. When i started going to school I didn't imagine how hard things would get as I got older. My mother has been waiting for a petition from her brother and she has been waiting for about 8 years, included in that petition is my father and myself, no luck yet. Since I'm 19 years old now I am not included in there anymore due to government laws, so this is the only hope I have. Im in college right now and I feel so bad for my parents, they have to work so hard to pay for my school. I've tried working to help pay for school, but I haven't had any luck. I've worked in 2 jobs and I haven't gotten paid because of my immigration status. I was thinking of working in a restaurant off the books, but my mother says that I shouldn't because many of the people that work in that field begin to like easy money and forget about their careers. I see many US citizens waste their lives not doing anything, not taking advantage of the privileages that they have and it pisses me off. There are people out there that do want to succeed, do want to be someone in life, but don't have the privleages they do like myself. If I was only given the opprortunity to contribute my knowledge and dedication to better this country I would give the best of myself to become someone that makes a difference. My boyfriend has tried helping me pay, but i don't want him to take a responsibility that is not his. He kept telling me to get involved in this, but I feel very dissapointed and I've been very negative. All I really hope is that the Dream Act is passed by Congress. So many stories I've read that are similar to mine make me feel a sense of teamwork. Through the world wide web students like myself can unite and share their expiriences and built rapport to try and keep each others attitudes high.

thedream
10-01-2007, 09:15 PM
welcome to the board.

and please visit our "taking action" section to see what you can do to help DREAM pass.
http://dreamact.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

I'd also suggest looking at the FAQ.
http://dreamact.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1673

laneDearIhope?
10-01-2007, 09:17 PM
welcome to dap..

MariaG1987
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Welcome! :D

pingpong abyss
10-02-2007, 03:36 AM
Welcome. 7 seems to be the magic number. I've also seen a lot of 3s. Totally biblical.

By the way, are you sure about the petition? You're not supposed to age out until you're 21.

Jourbalist
10-02-2007, 04:16 AM
I'm in the same position as you. And I know what you're talking about about a lot of Americans taking things for granted. Anyway, welcome to the board!

yasyas
10-02-2007, 04:29 AM
I was brought here at the age of 7 from Colombia. I've been living in New York for 13 years. When i started going to school I didn't imagine how hard things would get as I got older. My mother has been waiting for a petition from her brother and she has been waiting for about 8 years, included in that petition is my father and myself, no luck yet. Since I'm 19 years old now I am not included in there anymore due to government laws, so this is the only hope I have. Im in college right now and I feel so bad for my parents, they have to work so hard to pay for my school. I've tried working to help pay for school, but I haven't had any luck. I've worked in 2 jobs and I haven't gotten paid because of my immigration status. I was thinking of working in a restaurant off the books, but my mother says that I shouldn't because many of the people that work in that field begin to like easy money and forget about their careers. I see many US citizens waste their lives not doing anything, not taking advantage of the privileages that they have and it pisses me off. There are people out there that do want to succeed, do want to be someone in life, but don't have the privleages they do like myself. If I was only given the opprortunity to contribute my knowledge and dedication to better this country I would give the best of myself to become someone that makes a difference. My boyfriend has tried helping me pay, but i don't want him to take a responsibility that is not his. He kept telling me to get involved in this, but I feel very dissapointed and I've been very negative. All I really hope is that the Dream Act is passed by Congress. So many stories I've read that are similar to mine make me feel a sense of teamwork. Through the world wide web students like myself can unite and share their expiriences and built rapport to try and keep each others attitudes high.

It's strange how similar we are! I came here when I was 7 and my mother is also waiting for a petition from her brother AND yes, the petition doesn't apply to me anymore because it will last until I turn 21 (I turn 21 this year and highly doubt it will go through-- -it takes years!!). Also, are you sure you aged out?? I think immigration law states that minor means under 21. Maybe you should look into that... you might still have time!

LFP88
10-06-2007, 03:29 PM
We have talked to a lawyer and he says that by the time the petition goes through im not gonna be included anymore. I'm hoping that can help too but it does take alot of time. I've heard that some of this cases take about 12 years.

Tasksgirl
10-06-2007, 04:33 PM
No under the child protection you should be ok..
Definately try seeing a lawyer about that..

erikasxoxo
10-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Welcome!

Tasksgirl
10-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Yeah lots of 3s and 7s.. my husband was 3