PDA

View Full Version : New

Subhuman in USA
10-03-2007, 02:44 PM
A little while ago I would have been too afraid to share my story, but now I think if you do not let your voice be heard, no matter how small no one will ever know. I've been here in Miami since I was 7. I went to Elementary, middle and high school here. I do not know anyone or anything back in my home country like many of you. I never realized that I was a "subhuman" living in the United States until I was a junior in high school and it was time for me to take the SATs.
I graduated top in the top ten of my class, with honors and I was even a captain on my school's soccer team. However none of my hard work or contributions to the community mean anything unless I am a "human" in the USA. The reason I say this is because from my experience in the US, I've come to realize that if you were not born here or lucky enough to have a papers, then it gives people the right to treat you like you aren't a human being made of the same genetic material as any other person. It doesn't give you a right to feelings, dreams, happiness,or a life really in America. Sometime I wish the people who don't support the DREAM ACT or the senators could be in our shoes. To have worked so hard and be told it means nothing! To want to be a lawful American and go to school and pay taxes,but not given the chance to prove yourself. I think if the roles were reversed they would want this Bill passed in a heartbeat just like us. They would want to be "human" too. We have the potential to be great leaders and doctors and lawyers, etc. We could potentially cure one of the many disease we have today,but we are not given the chance and that makes me sick every time I think about it. I know some of the Senators and people that support the Bill have hearts and compassion and can sympathize with our plight. Today I just found out that in Florida,where I live there is a motion to pass a law that would stop colleges from admitting undocumented students,which means I wouldn't be able to continue studying at this college that was so gracious to accept me even though I am not human. It meant so much to me to be able to go to school and my parents have worked hard to help pay for it, since I don't qualify for Financial Aid. Now I can possibly have that taken away from me. It so not fair to be treated this way and I wish we all could have been lucky enough to be born "humans." Hearing these stories gives me hope and strength to pursue another day. I would hate to think what my life would be reduced to if I weren't allowed to continue with school. :?: Sorry If I blabbered too much,but I think these things needed to be said. And Good luck to all of you out there and I hope one day all our dreams can be given the opportunity to come true. :|

dream warrior
10-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Welcome, i also new here and its good to here you like soccer. I also played in high school and was also captain. Do you play at the university?

Subhuman in USA
10-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Welcome, i also new here and its good to here you like soccer. I also played in high school and was also captain. Do you play at the university?

Thanks. No, my school doesn't have soccer as a sport and I tried to get a team started,but they said it would cost too much money.

Abaddon
10-03-2007, 03:00 PM
You shouldn't let society decide whether you are human or not.

Regardless of our status we are still humans. I think we are still privileged to be here even though we aren't residents yet.

There are many in other countries who are considered "humans" yet they suffer every day because of the horrors of civil war and chaos.

dream warrior
10-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Thats a shame, i played at a comunity college and then transfered and red shirted a year and after that i had to quit because of work and school.

But abbadon is right, we should be thankful that we are able to be here and enjoy a better quality of life than other people. I always tell everyone that i am thankful for what this country has given me, mainly for my education, but also for the simple things like being able to go watch a movie or go out for dinner. These are things that i would hve never been able to so had i been in Mex.

Subhuman in USA
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
You guys are right. I don't mean to be negative, but it's just so stressful to want something so bad and have it hanging in the balance. I guess I feel that way because I don't understand why we aren't being given the chance. I am thankful to be here and to experience what I have.

Sayuri Jane
10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
welcome to the Dap. it is hard at times but dream will become reality soon enough.

laneDearIhope?
10-03-2007, 04:02 PM
welcome to dap..and just because we were not born here does not mean that we are not humans...never let someone treat diffrently from the way u want to be treated...i know that dream will pass this year so that law in florida wpnt even matter...