PDA

View Full Version : My story/ thoughts

JJE2588
10-15-2007, 03:37 PM
I was born in Michoacan, Mexico. My family moved to the US when I was just 13months old. I am now 19 years old and have not left the US, and yet unfortunately I am still undocumented. I grew up and live in a really nice small city in California, in which the population is mainly made up of white, upper-middle class people. I attended preschool through 12th grade here got my diploma and am now currently enrolled in a junior college here, there was only one other Hispanic student besides me that attended my elementary school. So with that kind of society in my background it's been hard growing up and not having anyone to relate to. While all my friends were out learning how to drive, getting their drivers license and their first car; I was making up excuses as to why I hadn't even attempted to get my driver learners permit. Being undocumented is a hard situation to be in especially if you didn't have a a say in the matter that was set for you. I believe myself to be an American just like anyone else who was born here or who are fortunate enough to have received their legal status here in the US, and I don't think it's fair that there exists 9 numbers printed on a card that allow you to call yourself a "real" American. And most importantly I don't believe it's fair that there are law abiding students such as myself who have participated in many community service events, who attend church or other religious events rather then going out partying and yet cannot receive federal aid to further their education and build upon their future; and yet there are US citizens born here who spend all their money on drugs and alcohol and receive all the financial aid that they "need". I have high hopes to finish my college education and to be able to transfer to a nice University and get my degree, and to one day finally stop living in fear. If the DREAM Act were to pass all my dreams would become a reality for me and thousands of others just like me!

That is my story/thoughts.

MechEngineer
10-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm from Michoacan too. Only I was 5 when I got here...i'm 22 now. We all relate to your anguish in such a similar way. Let's hope true justice thrives this november when DREAM can possibly be voted on.

dado123
10-15-2007, 04:14 PM
I was born in Michoacan, Mexico. My family moved to the US when I was just 13months old. I am now 19 years old and have not left the US, and yet unfortunately I am still undocumented. I grew up and live in a really nice small city in California, in which the population is mainly made up of white, upper-middle class people. I attended preschool through 12th grade here got my diploma and am now currently enrolled in a junior college here, there was only one other Hispanic student besides me that attended my elementary school. So with that kind of society in my background it's been hard growing up and not having anyone to relate to. While all my friends were out learning how to drive, getting their drivers license and their first car; I was making up excuses as to why I hadn't even attempted to get my driver learners permit. Being undocumented is a hard situation to be in especially if you didn't have a a say in the matter that was set for you. I believe myself to be an American just like anyone else who was born here or who are fortunate enough to have received their legal status here in the US, and I don't think it's fair that there exists 9 numbers printed on a card that allow you to call yourself a "real" American. And most importantly I don't believe it's fair that there are law abiding students such as myself who have participated in many community service events, who attend church or other religious events rather then going out partying and yet cannot receive federal aid to further their education and build upon their future; and yet there are US citizens born here who spend all their money on drugs and alcohol and receive all the financial aid that they "need". I have high hopes to finish my college education and to be able to transfer to a nice University and get my degree, and to one day finally stop living in fear. If the DREAM Act were to pass all my dreams would become a reality for me and thousands of others just like me!

That is my story/thoughts.
Welcome to the forum, we are all faced with the same conundrum lets work together for the passage of dream. 8)

DREAMAct01
10-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Well that makes three of us. I'm from Michoacan as well. I was brought here when I was about 11 months, and now am 18 years old.

MariaG1987
10-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Welcome to DAP! I understand how you feel. Let's hope our dreams will come true this year!

I hope you are able to help us by making calls/being active.

Zodiak
10-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the Dream Act Portal. Glad to have you here!

Mbluparadise
10-16-2007, 01:04 PM
JJE2- Welcome to the forum :) ... I can very much relate to you, and I know exactly what you mean about... you know... the whole "citizens" who take things for granted and just go out and party etc... Great to know we're not alone.... Start calling Senators and urging them to support DREAM.... you can find the list on "The Lounge" section

The Voice heard
10-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Welcome!!! It's kool to see some fellow Michoacanos like me, I was brought here when I was 10 years old I'm 18 now so we're kind of similar position here!

Please get active on this forum!

Latina~Hispana
10-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm from Michoacan too~~lol..Welcome and don't give up, this is just another struggle we'll soon overcome!

8-bitPanda
10-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi and welcome. I too am from Michoacan.

J6
10-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Welcome, I don't even know what Michoacan is, sounds like Michigan.

greentea
10-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Welcome, I don't even know what Michoacan is, sounds like Michigan.

lmao I just noticed that

pingpong abyss
10-16-2007, 11:46 PM
It's a grocery store down the street from me that has the BEST fajita meat.

jk. I think I have a sister in law in Michoacan. Welcome.

Coyolxauhqui
10-17-2007, 12:25 AM
MICHOACAN ROCKS! I was born in Mexico City but my family is from the lovely state of Michoacan!