PDA

View Full Version : how to file tax deduction for EAD expenses?

dreamer12345
01-04-2017, 02:45 PM
I haven't done this in the past because it didn't occur to me to do so. On reading some stuff online it seems USCIS fees are not tax deductible unless they are directly related to the production of income, which to me, an EAD is. So has anyone here done so, how did you file it?

I'd say bio fee not deductible, EAD fee is

g33k
01-04-2017, 02:47 PM
Even if you actually have a successful deduction...you will only get peanuts.

2Face
01-04-2017, 09:58 PM
You can't deduct EAD expenses lol. Sorry. How is your EAD related to production of income? Let me give you an example of what they mean by production of income. Let's just say you're a business owner and have to pay for EADs for your employees (this is unrealistic but just trying to explain it to you) THAT right there is a business expense and would be deductible to your business.

For a non-tax person just take a quick look at Form 1040 and you will see you can't deduct expenses like that anywhere.

dreamer12345
01-04-2017, 11:58 PM
You can't deduct EAD expenses lol. Sorry. How is your EAD related to production of income? Let me give you an example of what they mean by production of income. Let's just say you're a business owner and have to pay for EADs for your employees (this is unrealistic but just trying to explain it to you) THAT right there is a business expense and would be deductible to your business.

For a non-tax person just take a quick look at Form 1040 and you will see you can't deduct expenses like that anywhere.

If company employed:

EAD=+$$
no-EAD=0$$

kyungwc
01-05-2017, 03:39 AM
There are easier ways of getting deductions.
To name a few from the top of my head:

individual
work mileage
healthcare
school expenses
donations
tithing

My guess is that the language exists for business such as law offices or immigration centers.

dreamer12345
01-05-2017, 07:19 PM
So a car registration for you is directly related to production of income? Assuming you use it to get to your work.

Registration =+ $$

ah, touche....and the answer is no unless company vehicle and self employed.

2Face
01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
So a car registration for you is directly related to production of income? Assuming you use it to get to your work.

Registration =+ $$

No you can't deduct that. Everyone has to go to work lol. Now lets say your boss makes you drive somewhere specially to deliver something or something special at your job, that can be deductible but even that you would deduct it ONLY if you itemize (meaning you have expenses that exceed the standard deduction like mortgage interest, property taxes). That registration would be deductible again if it's like your company car and you're required to have that car. Basically expenses that you make for your job which are not reimbursed back to you can be deducted on Schedule A (Itemizing).

Now if you have your OWN business, you would file a Schedule C, basically Profit & Loss and you would be able to deduct some mileage. But mileage is something that is looked at closely by IRS. It could trigger an audit for a business return if they put too much auto expense.

2Face
01-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Listen to this guy! He is a legit CPA from the hood of Connecticut.

Thank you brah. But in all seriousness, regular people can file their own taxes any time and in the process get to learn a lot! I highly recommend you google and take a look at Form 1040. It's simple to read and understand just to get an idea of what income is taxed, what can be deducted, how the tax liability is calculated and what credits you receive to get to your refund.