PDA

View Full Version : ab540 in california annulled?

negrita_028
01-06-2009, 04:02 AM
for the last 7 years, the ab540 in california has allowed undocumented students attend college by paying complete instate tuition, but this "privilege" is being reviewed to be anulled. lately, the ab540 in cali was being reviewed, giving undocumented students hopes that the dream act would pass. but now, our luck has turned around and the ammount of money we might have to pay to go to college can triple. i looked for the report all over and unfortunatelly only found it in spanish.
http://www.univision.com/content/video.jhtml?cid=1795479&channelName=Videos&_requestid=304498
pm me if you need a complete translation.

-negrita

Fish
01-06-2009, 04:31 AM
Here is another recent article about it.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-immigtuition5-2009jan05,0,3248207.story

RahmanIV
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
for the last 7 years, the ab540 in california has allowed undocumented students attend college by paying complete instate tuition, but this "privilege" is being reviewed to be anulled. lately, the ab540 in cali was being reviewed, giving undocumented students hopes that the dream act would pass. but now, our luck has turned around and the ammount of money we might have to pay to go to college can triple. i looked for the report all over and unfortunatelly only found it in spanish.
http://www.univision.com/content/video.jhtml?cid=1795479&channelName=Videos&_requestid=304498
pm me if you need a complete translation.

-negrita

The law isn't being annulled. Its just being reviewed by the Supreme Court. AB 540 is current law in California and thus it cannot be repealed or annulled unless the California legislature passes another law, repealing AB 540, or that the California Supreme Court interprets the current law to be unconstitutional and nullifies it.

As of now, the California Supreme Court has agreed to review a case challenging the law. This case had made its way through the Circuit and District court levels. NO decision regarding the law has been made yet.

The California Supreme court will hear arguments in late 2009.

cajeta21
01-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I hope the AB 540 stays... it's the only way I've been able to afford college.

originalgabe
01-07-2009, 02:07 AM
The law isn't being annulled. Its just being reviewed by the Supreme Court. AB 540 is current law in California and thus it cannot be repealed or annulled unless the California legislature passes another law, repealing AB 540, or that the California Supreme Court interprets the current law to be unconstitutional and nullifies it.

As of now, the California Supreme Court has agreed to review a case challenging the law. This case had made its way through the Circuit and District court levels. NO decision regarding the law has been made yet.

The California Supreme court will hear arguments in late 2009.

Thanks for keeping people updated, alot of these post titles are misleading members and freaking them out