PDA

View Full Version : IMMIGRATION UPDATE: Obama and Democratic Congress Outlook

Ianus
01-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Well,this outlook (http://www.rotor.com/Default.aspx?tabid=510&newsid905=60425) isn't good news but usually they're accurate.
Obama said on the campaign trail that he supported comprehensive immigration reform, and leaders of pro-immigrant groups now expect Obama and the Democratic-led Congress to take up a massive overhaul of the nation’s immigration system this year.

However, getting the economy back on track will take center stage for the time being. It is expected that comprehensive immigration reform giving millions of undocumented workers in the U.S. a path to citizenship will be taken up by Congress sometime between September and March of 2010.

HAI reports that behind the scenes, immigrant, labor and humanitarian groups are working to beef up their alliances, gain support from key lawmakers and officials close to Obama. The various groups are working to develop legislative and political strategies that will prevent the meltdown that occurred last year and doomed major immigration legislation in the last Congress.

Groups opposed to legalizing undocumented workers say efforts to rewrite immigration laws will be undercut by the need for economic recovery and providing jobs for U.S. workers. HAI continues to track this issue, as well as other as other programs such as E-Verify and will provide updates as developments occurDream act as a stand alone legislation should be our priority.

lilbawler2001
01-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Most of us have been saying this for the longest time.

MAGraduate
01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
{edited:sensitive info}

There is actually little to worry about besides 'not doing anything' and sitting around and waiting for things to happen.

Ianus
01-10-2009, 01:20 AM
{edited:sensitive info}

There is actually little to worry about besides 'not doing anything' and sitting around and waiting for things to happen.
Lol,same old Bernstein I see.I think we're still in good shape for early in the year & we've all seen what waiting does for immigration reform.It gets drawn out into early mid-term election rhetoric.I also don't see Reid trying this in 2010 with his own election coming up the same year,so '09 or nothing.

geronimo610
01-10-2009, 04:15 AM
so '09 or nothing.

agreed.

it'll be the last year for DREAM Act and last year for most of us Dreamies anyway. I think if it doesn't pass this year that the momentum will just die out.

dado123
01-10-2009, 04:27 AM
agreed.

it'll be the last year for DREAM Act and last year for most of us Dreamies anyway. I think if it doesn't pass this year that the momentum will just die out.

This is cheesy but, we have to keep our minds focused, we will be victorious this year. That said, lets continue pushing to get more votes on change.org.