PDA

View Full Version : Advocates Call On Obama, Congress To Pass Immigration Reform

FrankV
01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
SJ: ADVOCATES CALL ON OBAMA, CONGRESS TO PASS IMMIGRATION REFORM

SAN JOSE (BCN)

Advocates of national immigration reform gathered on the steps of the Robert F. Peckham Federal Building in San Jose today to demand action from President Barack Obama.

Immigration groups, San Jose State University student groups, education leaders, religious groups and others gathered to ask Obama and Congress to end U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement raids, pass legislation naturalizing young, undocumented immigrants, and reduce the cost of citizenship.

Today's event was held on the heels of Obama's inauguration because advocates believe immigrant voters were fundamental to his success in November.

"(Today is) important because it's a call to action," said Vanessa Sandoval of the Services, Immigrant Rights and Education Network. "It's a reminder to the administration that it was the immigrant vote that basically allowed Obama to win several swing states and gave Obama the momentum and the power to be where he is now."

Attendees held signs reading, "Todos Somos Americanos," and "Pres. Obama and Congress listen to us. Just and humane immigration reform now!"

Sandoval said the appeal to President Obama is one he should be prepared for.

"We're just asking that he be true to his promise and that he help with a just and humane immigration reform that will legalize the 12 million undocumented people in the United States," Sandoval said.

The Services, Immigrant Rights and Education Network was joined today by the San Jose State University Student Advocates for Higher Education.

Bianca Rivera, a community liaison for the group, said she came to the U.S. six years ago as an undocumented child.

"I have never given up, even though I have been frustrated at times because of my lack of opportunities, such as a job, a driver's license (and) a social security number," Rivera said.

Rivera said she was unable to apply for financial aid, but is working toward a degree in hospitality management and Spanish at SJSU.

"I would love to have the opportunity to continue with my education," Rivera said. "And once I graduate, I want to become a professional and contribute to my community and poor economy."

Many of today's advocates called for immigration reform that includes the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, or DREAM Act, which if passed would allow naturalization for undocumented residents under 30 who attended college or served in the military for two years.

The DREAM Act failed in a 2007 Senate vote, but advocates hope the newly seated Congress may vote more favorably.

:) Immigration Attorney Mark Silverman said the DREAM Act and other immigration reform should be passed to benefit students and the federal government.

:) He said the government spends the money to educate undocumented children for 16 years and then does not allow them to work, which would contribute taxes and social security.

:) "It's really not fair to these young people, like Bianca, who grew up here," Silverman said. "Their culture is United States culture. This will allow them to realize their dreams."