PDA

View Full Version : Watching dreams unravel

Ianus
01-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Wow,is all I can say after reading this (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/columnists.nsf/billmcclellan/story/67A8FC9FF914EE9986257548001C4190?OpenDocument) story.I don't know why his mother didn't tell him about his status & now this Dreamer is endanger of being deported all because his Mom made him believe he was a Citizen & he was using a fake SS since he was a kid.
By the way, the Marine Corps is filled with young men from small towns who decided that the service was a way to kick-start their dreams. That's why the Marines send recruiters to small-town high schools. When the recruiters visited New Haven High, they set up a pull-up bar. Do 20 pull-ups and get a Marine Corps T-shirt. Noe did 22 pull-ups. "Have you ever thought about the Marine Corps?" a recruiter asked.

Yes, he had. "I love adventure," he told me last week.

So this summer he went to the recruiter in nearby Washington and said he'd like to sign up for a delayed enlistment. He'd head to boot camp once he graduated from high school in May. No problem. The recruiter drove him to St. Louis to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test. Noe did very well.

He returned Aug. 13 to take his physical. He was at the Robert Young Federal Building with other young people in the process of enlisting when a man in civilian clothes led Noe to a room. "Did you really think you could get away with this?" he asked.

"He looked angry," Noe said. "I almost laughed. I think I said, 'You must have the wrong guy.'"

Noe said the man told him to stand up and put his hands behind his back. The man handcuffed him, then shackled his feet. "Do you know what kind of trouble you're in?" he asked Noe. He led Noe to another room.

A man from Immigration and Customs Enforcement was in the second room. Noe said he was calm and polite. The military had collected all of Noe's identification, and now the man from ICE put Noe's Social Security card in front of him. "This number does not belong to you," he said.

Noe didn't understand. He had used that Social Security number for work purposes. He had used that number when he filed taxes.

The man from ICE told Noe he was an illegal alien. Noe was stunned. He knew he had been born in Mexico; he had a vague memory of moving to the States with his mother at age 4. But illegally? The man from ICE told Noe that he could deport him right then. But he didn't. Instead, he told Noe to call his mother.

She drove to St. Louis. She told Noe that yes, he was an illegal immigrant. Your father was abusive, and I needed to get us away from him, she said. She had purchased the Social Security card once they arrived in this country.

geronimo610
01-25-2009, 01:51 AM
wow.... that's crazy! So glad my parents told me from the beginning.

dream3320
01-25-2009, 01:55 AM
the good part of this story is that he didnt get deported. im also glad i found out as soon as i arrived.

originalgabe
01-25-2009, 02:08 AM
His mother should have told him.

this sucks

Ayame
01-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Wow, no offense to the mom, but she lacks common sense. How could she not tell him? Especially if he was going to enlist. Jeez.

Glad hes still here tho

WestTxChick
01-25-2009, 06:08 AM
wow I feel for the guy..my case is almost if not equivalent to his,and in the process of finding out I too was NOT deported but your left with nothing..just another lingering soul :(

StarOfLifeUSMCwife
01-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Ohh My!!!!! I feel so bad for him, but it was not his fault. :(

questionsihave
01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
This is pretty similar to me. I didn't find out until I was 18 and I have been in the US since I was 2. I still don't understand why my mother didn't just tell me earlier, it would have made things easier.

I'm glad he wasn't deported yet.

bgsm892
01-25-2009, 11:43 AM
im 19 and ive lived in the us since i was 9 months old...and my mom didnt tell me till i was about 17-18 if i remember correctly,

even tho i do in ways wish i knew sooner, in the end im glad she told me at that age because you cant really handle something this big when your young,

meehx3
01-25-2009, 07:51 PM
and i thought i had it bad.
i found out when i took the SATs. lols.

quaker
01-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey Ianus, thanks for the heads up on this!

TheGift
01-27-2009, 12:47 AM
What a horrible way to find out.