PDA

View Full Version : NYT: 'Gillibrand's Immigration Views Draws Fire'

CIR_DREAM2009
01-28-2009, 11:37 PM
From the New York Times:

Gillibrand's Immigration Views Draws Fire (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/us/politics/28immigration.html?_r=1&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink)

But since her appointment by Gov. David A. Paterson last week to fill the Senate seat vacated by Hillary Rodham Clinton, Ms. Gillibrand has found herself besieged by immigrant advocates and Democratic colleagues who have cast her as out of step with a majority of the state, with its big cities and sprawling immigrant enclaves.

Immediately following the announcement, liberal blogs and New York’s ethnic media lit up with complaints about Ms. Gillibrand’s positions. A group of Hispanic state lawmakers have threatened to support a primary challenger to Ms. Gillibrand, who must stand for election next year. And El Diario La Prensa, the Spanish-language daily, described her as “a disappointing choice.”

Ms. Gillibrand, who was sworn in as senator on Tuesday, has tried to allay some of the concerns, reaching out to Hispanic elected officials and pledging to reconsider some of her positions. Outside a reception in Washington following her swearing-in ceremony, she acknowledged that she had an obligation to revisit some of these questions as she now “represents the whole state.”

“She did not answer the issues issue-by-issue,” Mr. Rivera said of his conversation with Ms. Gillibrand on Saturday. “All she said was that she needs to work with a broader group of individuals.”

Still, Ms. Gillibrand has not backed down from her long-standing opposition to “amnesty” for illegal immigrants, which has left some immigrant advocates wondering whether she would support any law that would establish a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

In Washington on Tuesday, the new senator elaborated, saying, “I don’t support amnesty because I don’t think it will work.” She added that the amnesty bill was “fatally flawed.”

She said, for example, that “the guest worker program all but guaranteed illegal immigration.” But she suggested one alternative might be to allow consecutive five-year work visas, with the ability to apply for permanent residency at the end.

Theodore Ruthizer, an immigration lawyer in New York and past president and general counsel of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said that he has spoken at length with Ms. Gillibrand on a number of occasions and believes she will “modify” her positions on immigration in her new job.

“I think she needs to be educated, frankly,” he said. “It was a low priority for her.”

Immigration lawyer Greg Siskind has his take (http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/2009/01/gillibrand-pledges-to-revisit-past-immigration-positions.html) on this article and what Gillibrand is trying to do:

Gillibrand's problem right now is that she needs to figure out how to move away from prior positions without seeming like a total flip-flopper (which is probably unavoidable). No easy task, but presumably Governor Paterson and Senator Gillibrand thought about this before the appointment was announced.

Ianus
01-29-2009, 05:34 AM
She must be in a very difficult position,but as with all politicians I'm sure she'll find her way in being pro-migrant.

DaLastHope
01-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Ianus your so right

daffodils
01-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Mrs.Gillibrand knew what she was getting into when she accepted the position of New York Senator. While her district is primarily conservative, the rest of New York State isn't, and so she has to change her views in order to have any chance of getting re-elected.

Joel Rivera is putting a lot of pressure on her, I am very glad for it.