PDA

View Full Version : Few crime victims helped by visa law OK'd in 2000

Dreamer X
02-09-2009, 06:54 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gcxylWOigkrW0MKffbD2N5EGdxRgD966TKCG2

So me and my family got robbed twice and a victim of fraud/identity theft twice, since we got here in 2001, do you guys think we can take advantage of this law for us to be legal?

quaker
02-09-2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gcxylWOigkrW0MKffbD2N5EGdxRgD966TKCG2

So me and my family got robbed twice and a victim of fraud/identity theft twice, since we got here in 2001, do you guys think we can take advantage of this law for us to be legal?

Doesn't sound like it:

What Criminal Activities Are Covered By the U Visa Interim Relief?
In order to qualify for U Visa interim relief, the immigrant must be the victim of one or more of the following crimes or any similar activity in violation of Federal State, or local criminal law: rape; torture; trafficking; incest; domestic violence; sexual assault; abusive sexual contact; prostitution; sexual exploitation; female genital mutilation; being held hostage; peonage; involuntary servitude; slave trade; kidnapping; abduction; unlawful criminal restraint; false imprisonment; blackmail; extortion; manslaughter; murder; felonious assault; witness tampering; obstruction of justice; perjury; or attempt, conspiracy, or solicitation to commit any of the above mentioned crimes.

U Visas: Immigration Relief (http://www.ilrc.org/resources/U%20Visa/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.html)

BeatlesFan
02-09-2009, 02:20 PM
also, i believe that the U-visa's aren't even issued yet, they are just in the works for one day to be issued.. kind of like the Dream Act... looks like the dream act will come through before the U-Visa does, but if you are curoious about it talk to your lawyer, mine has told me about it.

anitagreencard
02-09-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't think you'd benefit. Sorry to hear that you were robbed. My house was robbed christmas eve 2 years ago. It was a pretty sad experience, especially because all of my moms jewelry was stolen.

Alex
02-09-2009, 02:46 PM
hey, my house got robbed in new year's of 2006, they took all my parent's jewlery, the laptops, television and money on the cabinet. they also beat up my dog. the poice never found any1. :(

Dreamer X
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Aw...we got robbed one day when i came from high school. took my dad's wedding and basically all their jewelry and my beloved xbox, ps1 and all my games and most of my cd's. Those are a child's treasures....lol
it's their silver anniversary next year so i might try to give them new ones. haha that's if i can up with the finances.

Man, i could have made my old boss sexually harass me or something....he was basically eye-F*cking me. It was rumored he did it before! lmao jk jk

Ianus
02-09-2009, 07:16 PM
also, i believe that the U-visa's aren't even issued yet, they are just in the works for one day to be issued.. kind of like the Dream Act... looks like the dream act will come through before the U-Visa does, but if you are curoious about it talk to your lawyer, mine has told me about it.Actually,U-visas ARE being issued.The Vermont service Center even has a dedicated unit to look at these particular applications.There is also a huge difference in the regulations that were recently issued as well,approved U-visa holders no longer have an impediment toward gaining Permanent residency.

U-visas are valid for 4 years & on the 3rd year approved visa applicants can apply for Permanent residency.

Dreamer X
02-10-2009, 12:37 AM
hmm...two black dudes tried to mug my brother in broad daylight, good thing a car passed by. That would seem like a good enough reason right? plus, we're a fraud victim.

dreamerhippie
02-10-2009, 02:07 AM
my mother and i are currently going through the u-visa process right now, so i guess i can speak on this a little..

attempted robbery doesn't cut it. nor does fraud/identity theft. the difficult thing with u-visas is the fact that you have to get law enforcement to sign off on various documents needed to submit the application. a u-visa is a provision under the violence against women act, but i can cover men too. so don't be fooled by that.

also, when an eligible applicant files an application, they can request to include derivative beneficiaries, but there are stipulations to whom can be a derivative. you might wanna check with a competent attorney about whether your family would be able to file. in my personal opinion, attempted robbery and fraud aren't unconscionable crimes that would make some one approve your application. if you read the list that quaker posted, some of those crimes are a somewhat more severe than almost getting robbed by black guys (no offense ...).

again, you should check with a competent lawyer.

lilbawler2001
02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
hmm...two black dudes tried to mug my brother in broad daylight, good thing a car passed by. That would seem like a good enough reason right? plus, we're a fraud victim.

Did adding the black make the crime any worse?:roll:

Dreamer X
02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Did adding the black make the crime any worse?:roll:

Nope, just adding detail to the story. I didn't mean to sound offensive. Sorry 0_0

Ianus
02-11-2009, 12:19 AM
....also, when an eligible applicant files an application, they can request to include derivative beneficiaries, but there are stipulations to whom can be a derivative. you might wanna check with a competent attorney about whether your family would be able to file. in my personal opinion, attempted robbery and fraud aren't unconscionable crimes that would make some one approve your application. if you read the list that quaker posted, some of those crimes are a somewhat more severe than almost getting robbed by black guys (no offense ...).

again, you should check with a competent lawyer.Yeah,the technical & legal definition of a "Crime" as it is interpreted by USCIS is what excludes most folk from taking advantage of this Legalization program.

Oh well,there is always France (http://www.france24.com/en/20090209-trading-information-immigration-migrants-networks-residency-residence-france) I guess.