DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What to say to potential employer who asks about visa? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84053)

Manhattan2017 12-14-2019 12:08 PM

What to say to potential employer who asks about visa?

Why is the best way to phrase DACA EAD status (which is current until 2021 -my exp. date) when disclosing it to a potential employer who asks about visa?
it’s a touchy issue and I know DACA makes hiring managers reluctant Bc of uncertainty.

Thanks.

Swim19 12-14-2019 12:20 PM

Re: What to say to potential employer who asks about visa?

Keep it vague. You are not required to tell them you have DACA. I would say you have permission to legally work. If needed, add that it does not require employer sponsorship.

DogJuiceMan 12-14-2019 12:25 PM

Keep it vague like you keep your illegal status vague to anyone that asks.

In the workplace it is a liability.

I just say im authorized to work for any employer via email. This way anything is in writing. Any further probing questions from them exposes them to violating workplace laws. I''m not a lawyer though.

I know in some situations they can demand you to be a GC or USC, but I have tentative evidence that its only for security reasons or jobs relating to security for the country.

Manhattan2017 12-14-2019 02:07 PM

But if they specifically ask to “CLARIFY MY VISA STATUS”?

TexasDreamy 12-14-2019 06:50 PM

Stonewall and say that you have a work permit and are authorized to work for any employer and do not require sponsorship. Those are the magic words.

Manhattan2017 12-14-2019 07:35 PM

THANKS GUYS. You all rock.

conscientiatesla87 12-14-2019 07:43 PM

Say you can work for any employer without sponsorship
This happened to me 6 years ago with the company I’m working. During the initial interview I said vaguely that I had a work permit however she didn’t catch it, fast forward a few months later I was filling out the I9 and I pulled out my EAD and she said “you didn’t specify you needed sponsorship”, I told her firmly I didn’t need sponsorship and that I could work for any employer so she didn’t say anything else. I sounded a bit mad but you need to be firm because HR believes they know about visas and the reality is they know very little. I’m sure some HR ate more knowledgeable than others but my experience tells me they know very little about statuses and visas.

DogJuiceMan 12-14-2019 09:10 PM

99% of HR doesn't know about visas or anything outside of their direct HR domain.

If they knew fully about visas or immigration, they wouldn't be HR.

Manhattan2017 12-17-2019 02:43 PM

OK so are you guys advised, I told the HR person exactly that. I can work for any employer, do not need sponsorship and the person said that they would be in touch shortly about "next steps" but I havent heard anything yet.

Do you think that is a bad sign?

Dream becomes Reality 12-18-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhattan2017 (Post 743588)
But if they specifically ask to “CLARIFY MY VISA STATUS”?

Tell them "Not applicable, I am authorized to work in the US for any employer."