DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Taking Action (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Did you age-out of relief? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=27468)

Swim19 05-04-2012 11:54 AM

Did you age-out of relief?

Are your parents legal residents but you never got your papers? You may be covered by a nationwide class action lawsuit pending in the Ninth Circuit.

For several years now, we've done the hard work of keeping our politicians accountable, leaving no stone unturned in the fight for our rights. We've occupied Congress with our demands for justice, and confronted ICE on multiple occasions in multiple states. Our work has directly changed the course of the immigrant rights movement. Now we're stepping it up and taking our fight to court.

The Ninth Circuit has agreed to re-hear the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) nationwide class action litigation, De Osorio v. Holder. This case, in small part, addresses the issue of immigrant youth who've grown up in the United States with or without papers and have parents who are legal permanent residents.
It's a complicated legal matter but the gist of it is that if your parents got their green-cards through their relatives (their parents or siblings) or an employer sponsor, but you didn't because you turned 21, there may be a chance that you can adjust your status to that of a green-card holder if the Ninth Circuit rules in our favor. The Fifth Circuit has already ruled in our favor. If we win in the Ninth Circuit, thousands of young adults will be eligible for green-cards. Hundreds of undocumented youth would no longer be subject to detention and deportation away from their own homes and families.

As such, we need your stories for an amicus brief we are filing with the Ninth Circuit next week to highlight the plight of immigrant youth across the country and tell the court that we have a vested interest in this matter.

Please reply to this email, no later than this Sunday at 11:59 pm, if you think you may qualify and are willing to share your story for this. If you have privacy concerns, you can offer your story while remaining anonymous and your name can be redacted from the record and we can also use an alias of your choice.

Prerna Lal
Co-Founder, DreamActivist
P.S. You can read more about the CSPA litigation here.

email: [email protected] with your story!

Dream becomes Reality 05-04-2012 05:42 PM

Re: Did you age-out of relief?

I wish those that turned 21 when their parents were undergoing the Naturalization process and as a result "aged out" of their categories and became non immediate relatives of their parents were also included in this....

Swim19 05-04-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream becomes Reality (Post 253881)
I wish those that turned 21 when their parents were undergoing the Naturalization process and as a result "aged out" of their categories and became non immediate relatives of their parents were also included in this....

It's possible you'd also get relief (I'm not sure the specifics of your situation) ... since this is about retaining priority date of original petition you were a derivative beneficiary of. The lawsuit is basically about differences in interpretation of the CSPA law. So instead of waiting in line all over again, you'd get credit for the time you waited even though you 'aged out'.

Dream becomes Reality 05-04-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 253891)
It's possible you'd also get relief (I'm not sure the specifics of your situation) ... since this is about retaining priority date of original petition you were a derivative beneficiary of. The lawsuit is basically about differences in interpretation of the CSPA law. So instead of waiting in line all over again, you'd get credit for the time you waited even though you 'aged out'.

My USC sibling filed the petition for the parent, who then got the Green Card and then filed an I-130 for me which was approved but the Priority Date was still not current. The parent then started the Naturalization process and became a Citizen 2 mths after my 21st birthday, so I had to wait about a year before the Priority Date (PD) became Current as I was no longer an Immediate Relative since I had "Aged Out." Also, since I'm not covered by 245i, I am unable to Adjust even with a PD that became current a couple of years ago.

Since I wasn't a Derivative Beneficiary of a petition, as the parent could not include me on the petition filed by my sibling, I wonder whether that disqualifies me from this lawsuit, since I'm a Direct beneficiary of a parent's petition?

iDream 05-04-2012 07:28 PM

Hey Swim19.
i was just wondering, my parents haven't received their green card yet due to the retrogression. Now, if this court ruling be in our favor (*im praying that it does*) am i able to adjust without my parents' GC?

Swim19 05-04-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream becomes Reality (Post 253899)
My USC sibling filed the petition for the parent, who then got the Green Card and then filed an I-130 for me which was approved but the Priority Date was still not current. The parent then started the Naturalization process and became a Citizen 2 mths after my 21st birthday, so I had to wait about a year before the Priority Date (PD) became Current as I was no longer an Immediate Relative since I had "Aged Out." Also, since I'm not covered by 245i, I am unable to Adjust even with a PD that became current a couple of years ago.

Since I wasn't a Derivative Beneficiary of a petition, as the parent could not include me on the petition filed by my sibling, I wonder whether that disqualifies me from this lawsuit, since I'm a Direct beneficiary of a parent's petition?

Hmmm...well since a direct petition from your parent has a current priority date, but you couldn't adjust because you aren't under 245i, even if you could qualify for this lawsuit, I don't see how it would help you. The point of this lawsuit is to decrease the waiting time for an over-aged son/daughter by retaining original priority date.

Swim19 05-04-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDream (Post 253901)
Hey Swim19.
i was just wondering, my parents haven't received their green card yet due to the retrogression. Now, if this court ruling be in our favor (*im praying that it does*) am i able to adjust without my parents' GC?

As far as I know, you would have to wait for your parents to get their GC. Then they would submit a new petition, but since you would retain your old priority date, the wait should be just a few months depending on the visa bulletin.

DA User 05-05-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream becomes Reality (Post 253899)

The good news is that if this Dream Act passes with the non-immigrant Visa which would lift the 3/10 ban then you get a GC right away if you don't have to cancel out the I-130 after the DA process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 253856)
Are your parents legal residents but you never got your papers? You may be covered by a nationwide class action lawsuit pending in the Ninth Circuit.

For several years now, we've done the hard work of keeping our politicians accountable, leaving no stone unturned in the fight for our rights. We've occupied Congress with our demands for justice, and confronted ICE on multiple occasions in multiple states. Our work has directly changed the course of the immigrant rights movement. Now we're stepping it up and taking our fight to court.

The Ninth Circuit has agreed to re-hear the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) nationwide class action litigation, De Osorio v. Holder. This case, in small part, addresses the issue of immigrant youth who've grown up in the United States with or without papers and have parents who are legal permanent residents.
It's a complicated legal matter but the gist of it is that if your parents got their green-cards through their relatives (their parents or siblings) or an employer sponsor, but you didn't because you turned 21, there may be a chance that you can adjust your status to that of a green-card holder if the Ninth Circuit rules in our favor. The Fifth Circuit has already ruled in our favor. If we win in the Ninth Circuit, thousands of young adults will be eligible for green-cards. Hundreds of undocumented youth would no longer be subject to detention and deportation away from their own homes and families.

As such, we need your stories for an amicus brief we are filing with the Ninth Circuit next week to highlight the plight of immigrant youth across the country and tell the court that we have a vested interest in this matter.

Please reply to this email, no later than this Sunday at 11:59 pm, if you think you may qualify and are willing to share your story for this. If you have privacy concerns, you can offer your story while remaining anonymous and your name can be redacted from the record and we can also use an alias of your choice.

Prerna Lal

What if the parent became PR and/or USC when the child was already 21 and then the I-130 was filed? Can this become immediate relatives from the aged out adult son unmarried?

Also, this would reduce the wait times then does that mean the wait times would be reduced in the F1 category which is for the adult son/daughter 21 and over unmarried?

I thought the parent that was at least a PR had to file a I-130 for her child that had not turned 21 yet to be able to be considered?

Swim19 05-05-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA User (Post 253946)
What if the parent became PR and/or USC when the child was already 21 and then the I-130 was filed? Can this become immediate relatives from the aged out adult son unmarried?

No. It seems like you still don't understand this lawsuit. This does not make anyone an immediate relative. This is about retention of priority date, not becoming an immediate relative. If a parent sent in initial petition to become PR before child turned 21 than yes, if the petition was submitted after then no.

Quote:

Also, this would reduce the wait times then does that mean the wait times would be reduced in the F1 category which is for the adult son/daughter 21 and over unmarried?
Again you don't seem to understand the point of the lawsuit. It reduces wait times only because of retention of priority date of original petition. So answer to your question is no.

Dream becomes Reality 05-05-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 253922)
Hmmm...well since a direct petition from your parent has a current priority date, but you couldn't adjust because you aren't under 245i, even if you could qualify for this lawsuit, I don't see how it would help you. The point of this lawsuit is to decrease the waiting time for an over-aged son/daughter by retaining original priority date.

Thanks for explaining the lawsuit, I understand it better now, I kinda figured that it didn't pertain to my specific case, but it was worth asking at least. All the best to those that qualify.

DA User 05-05-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 253989)
No. It seems like you still don't understand this lawsuit. This does not make anyone an immediate relative. This is about retention of priority date, not becoming an immediate relative. If a parent sent in initial petition to become PR before child turned 21 than yes, if the petition was submitted after then no.

Again you don't seem to understand the point of the lawsuit. It reduces wait times only because of retention of priority date of original petition. So answer to your question is no.

You mean when the petitioner filed for the beneficiary (parent) which had the PD prior to the child turning 21 right?

For example, Son files for her mother and the PD is 1/1/2012, the child turned 21 on 1/2/2012, this means the child's age would be frozen and the child qualifies under Immediate Relative?

Swim19 05-05-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA User (Post 254019)
You mean when the petitioner filed for the beneficiary (parent) which had the PD prior to the child turning 21 right?

For example, Son files for her mother and the PD is 1/1/2012, the child turned 21 on 1/2/2012, this means the child's age would be frozen and the child qualifies under Immediate Relative?

No. Please go back to original post, there's a link about to a page that explains CSPA rules and the lawsuit.

DA User 05-06-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 253989)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 254022)
No. Please go back to original post, there's a link about to a page that explains CSPA rules and the lawsuit.

Can you give an example?

Ocean 05-06-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 253856)

Prerna Lal

There is no mention of parents' getting GC by marriage. Does it mean it does not apply to me?

My mother got her green card by marriage, but when she got hers, I was already aged out. ( I think I was like 24 or 25 which is way passed 21).

Or does it have to be strictly relative sponsors or employer sponsor like you boldfaced, meaning that obtaining GC by marriage is not part of this CSPA?

iDream 05-06-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA User (Post 254080)
Can you give an example?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 254090)
There is no mention of parents' getting GC by marriage. Does it mean it does not apply to me?

My mother got her green card by marriage, but when she got hers, I was already aged out. ( I think I was like 24 or 25 which is way passed 21).

Or does it have to be strictly relative sponsors or employer sponsor like you boldfaced, meaning that obtaining GC by marriage is not part of this CSPA?

Okay so let me try to give you guys what this lawsuit means.

SCENARIO:
Let say, your grandparents are both U.S. citizen. They then filed a family petition for your father along side with your mother, YOU, and your little siblings. (Which is a F3. Family Third Preference = Married sons and daughters (either one of your parents) of U.S. citizens (grandparents), and their spouses and MINOR children.(YOU and your siblings that are under 21)

Now as long as your under 21 year of age you're still part of that F3. However, due to the long wait for the petition to be approved. Your ass got older and hit past the age of 21. So automatically you'll be removed from that petition and wont benefit from it when the time comes for it to be approved.

The CSPA, Child Status Protection Act, is a bill that supposedly protects kids who aged out. The purpose of that bill is to keep your Priority date (the date that your Grandparents filed the F3 petition for your father and family) and you can use that date when your parents,who are now Green card holders, file a I-130 petition for you (Unmarried sons and daughters). Which means your wait wouldnt be that long. Unfortunately, the USCIS got the message of the bill mixed up. They wouldn't allow these aged out kids to benefit from the CSPA bill. Thus the Lawsuit.

Now if the court ruling be in our favor (im praying that it will) we will benefit from this bill and we can adjust our status quicker.

This bill is so much more than what i said but I hope i explained it enough for you guys to understand.

DA User 05-06-2012 03:24 AM

So the child has to be under 21 at the priority date for the beneficiary?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDream (Post 254103)
Okay so let me try to give you guys what this lawsuit means.

SCENARIO:
Let say, your grandparents are both U.S. citizen. They then filed a family petition for your father along side with your mother, YOU, and your little siblings. (Which is a F3. Family Third Preference = Married sons and daughters (either one of your parents) of U.S. citizens (grandparents), and their spouses and MINOR children.(YOU and your siblings that are under 21)

Now as long as your under 21 year of age you're still part of that F3. However, due to the long wait for the petition to be approved. Your ass got older and hit past the age of 21. So automatically you'll be removed from that petition and wont benefit from it when the time comes for it to be approved.

The CSPA, Child Status Protection Act, is a bill that supposedly protects kids who aged out. The purpose of that bill is to keep your Priority date (the date that your Grandparents filed the F3 petition for your father and family) and you can use that date when your parents,who are now Green card holders, file a I-130 petition for you (Unmarried sons and daughters). Which means your wait wouldnt be that long. Unfortunately, the USCIS got the message of the bill mixed up. They wouldn't allow these aged out kids to benefit from the CSPA bill. Thus the Lawsuit.

Now if the court ruling be in our favor (im praying that it will) we will benefit from this bill and we can adjust our status quicker.

This bill is so much more than what i said but I hope i explained it enough for you guys to understand.

iDream 05-06-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA User (Post 254109)
So the child has to be under 21 at the priority date for the beneficiary?

Yes. But if the child hits past 21 yrs of age he/she wouldnt benefit from the F3 petition.

Swim19 05-06-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 254090)

When your mother's husband petitioned her for a green card were you already over 21? If the answer is yes, then this particular lawsuit does not help you. I assume you were already over 21 because as far as I know it was mainly categories of F3 and F4 that USCIS wasn't allowing those over-aged children to retain priority date.

Ocean 05-06-2012 11:37 PM

awwww ok, yeah I was already over 21. *sigh*

Thanks for the clear answers and examples, swim19 and iDream.

Good luck to those who are eligible :)

eseraphim 05-07-2012 12:21 AM

Thanks for the rundown on the lawsuit. I am still a bit confused as to whether this would apply to me. Can you help me out?

I am an overstay
My sibling became a USC and filed for both my parents and myself (I was fourth preference)
My parents became permanent residents shortly after (I was still under 21)
The I-130 my sibling filed for me was approved with a priority date of 2006 (I was still under 21 in 2006)
My parents became USCs last month and filed a petition for me using the already approved I-130 my sibling filed in order to retain the 2006 priority date. (I am currently 23)

Does the CSPA help me?

Swim19 05-07-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eseraphim (Post 254213)
Thanks for the rundown on the lawsuit. I am still a bit confused as to whether this would apply to me. Can you help me out?

I am an overstay
My sibling became a USC and filed for both my parents and myself (I was fourth preference)
My parents became permanent residents shortly after (I was still under 21)
The I-130 my sibling filed for me was approved with a priority date of 2006 (I was still under 21 in 2006)
My parents became USCs last month and filed a petition for me using the already approved I-130 my sibling filed in order to retain the 2006 priority date. (I am currently 23)

Does the CSPA help me?

I'm a little confused. So your sibling filed a separate petitions for you? Or were you listed on your parents' petition? If you were under 21 when your parents became permanent residents, why weren't you able to adjust with them?

eseraphim 05-07-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 254250)
I'm a little confused. So your sibling filed a separate petitions for you? Or were you listed on your parents' petition? If you were under 21 when your parents became permanent residents, why weren't you able to adjust with them?

Yes, my sibling filed a separate petition for me. We had terrible legal advice at the time and had no idea I could adjust through my parents when they became permanent residents and I was still under 21. Thus that's why now, since my parents recently became citizens, I included the approved I-130 I got through my sister to retain the priority date yet go from a fourth preference to a first.

Since the approved I-130 has a priority date prior to my 21st birthday, and it is now going to be used as a part of my parent's petition, does CSPA apply to me?

Swim19 05-07-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eseraphim (Post 254274)
Yes, my sibling filed a separate petition for me. We had terrible legal advice at the time and had no idea I could adjust through my parents when they became permanent residents and I was still under 21. Thus that's why now, since my parents recently became citizens, I included the approved I-130 I got through my sister to retain the priority date yet go from a fourth preference to a first.

Since the approved I-130 has a priority date prior to my 21st birthday, and it is now going to be used as a part of my parent's petition, does CSPA apply to me?

I do not know if CSPA would apply to you, since I am not familiar with a case like that. I would suggest talking to a reputable immigration lawyer. Hopefully you can retain your priority date.

TexasDreamy 05-07-2012 11:15 PM

This is only before the 9th district court, not SCOTUS.

How does that work for people who aren't the 9th district's jurisdiction?

Dream becomes Reality 05-08-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eseraphim (Post 254274)

My case is quite similar to yours, when I was a teenager, a US Citizen sibling filed for my parents, they thought that I would just be added to either parent's petition, but turns out that it is not allowed under US Immigration law, and the sibling filing a separate petition for me would take about 12yrs to go through so we waited until my parents got their Alien #s, and Green Cards were on their way when one of them filed an I-130 for me, still as a minor teenager.

My Priority Date never became Current (not that it'd have helped) until the parent that filed my petition started the Naturalization process. However, by the time the parent had become a US Citizen, I was 21 yrs & 2mnths old, therefore no longer an Immediate Relative (there goes the CSPA law in this case), and with no 245i coverage, I cannot Adjust my status here, and will face the 10 yr bar if I go to my home country for consular processing due to me being an Overstay.

I wish they would do something about this category where US Citizen siblings file for parents so that minor siblings can also be added to such petitions, rather than waiting for the parents to get their Green Cards and then filing for the minor children separately, too many young people fall through the cracks in the process.

Swim19 05-08-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasDreamy (Post 254382)
This is only before the 9th district court, not SCOTUS.

How does that work for people who aren't the 9th district's jurisdiction?

I don't understand the whole district court thing, but I at least from what I could tell since 5th circuit ruled in favor, if 9th also rules in our favor, then it will help everyone. Though I couldn't tell you why.

Noysingh 05-10-2012 02:52 AM

I am currently 22 years old, my parents are green card holder and petitioned me last year. According to them, its going to be a 10 year wait :( My country of origin is in the Philippines

DA User 05-10-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noysingh (Post 254665)
I am currently 22 years old, my parents are green card holder and petitioned me last year. According to them, its going to be a 10 year wait :( My country of origin is in the Philippines

Check the Visa Bulletin.

F2B category. Did they file after you turned 21? If yes, then Dec 08, 2001 is what they are working on. If NOT a beneficiary under 245i then a 10 year ban. Not sure if this could be waived. The Dream Act could waive the ban though and it should because you are adjusting in USA.

Why is F1 category longer for Philippines when a USC mother petitions her son/daughter over 21 unmarried?

MAGraduate 05-14-2012 11:42 AM

Immediate relatives don't have derivatives. Hence, you don't "age out" of petitions that your USC sibling files for your parents. As far as family-based visas are concerned, the lawsuit concerns those who have been aged out of F-3 and F-4 preference categories.

We wrote and filed the brief on Friday. You can read it here
http://www.dreamactivist.org/ninth-c...migrant-youth/

DA User 05-15-2012 12:44 AM

Is there a lawsuit for a child aging out as he/she turns 21 and then gets a petition?

iDream 05-21-2012 06:22 PM

Is there any new updates regarding CSPA?

Ianus 05-24-2012 04:32 PM

Not that I know of,but considering this case even though different jurisdiction the same rules apply.

Swim19 05-24-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDream (Post 256216)
Is there any new updates regarding CSPA?

I don't think there will be any new updates until after the rehearing, so we just have to do more waiting.

iDream 06-17-2012 03:32 PM

Oral argument is on tuesday!!!
I pray that this will bring more good news!!!

Swim19 06-17-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDream (Post 260563)
Oral argument is on tuesday!!!
I pray that this will bring more good news!!!

Me too! Exciting times!

iDream 06-17-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 260611)
Me too! Exciting times!

How long do we have to wait until they announce their decision?

Swim19 06-17-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDream (Post 260680)
How long do we have to wait until they announce their decision?

No idea. I tried finding out, but was unable to.

Swim19 06-19-2012 06:46 PM

short update about lawsuit on shusterman's site:

Quote:

There is clearly a split of opinion among the Judges.
We will explain why in a blog post later today or tomorrow.

iDream 06-20-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 261887)
short update about lawsuit on shusterman's site:

what do you think this means?>

Swim19 06-20-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDream (Post 262075)
what do you think this means?>

Not sure...it's not positive or negative. Split means there are some on our side...there's also now a video of the oral arguments on shustermans site, but I don't have time to watch it right now.