DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Manchin Will to Vote Yes on Immigration (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84883)

hDreamer1988 04-01-2021 09:21 PM

Manchin Will to Vote Yes on Immigration

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...gration-reform

Quote:

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said on Thursday after visiting the U.S.-Mexico border that it is "past time" for Congress to address immigration reform, including a path to citizenship, and called the border surge a "crisis."

"It is beyond time, past time, to do immigration reform. Immigration reform should be a pathway to citizenship. People that have been here, they might have come here the wrong way but they came here for the right reason," Manchin said during a press conference.

"We have children that came here that have no other home but America.There should be a pathway for that, for our dreamers, he added.

Manchin and Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) toured the U.S.-Mexico border on Thursday, including taking a helicopter and boat tour with Customs and Border Protection. They also visited a Laredo, Texas, port of entry and met with migrant families.

Manchin, during the press conference, floated a 90-day moratorium on immigration, saying that he was "just throwing out different ideas."

"We've got a human crisis that I'm seeing here ... so if that means shutting everything down for 90 days of how we have people come into our country, sending that message that we're not going to be taking people into this country until we get our ability to make sure we're able to do it and do it right, is that going to put the pressure?" Manchin asked.

"Something has to be done and it has to be expedited. ... This problem is not going away. This problem will not cure itself, I can assure you, and they're coming in droves," he said.

Manchin also backed beefed up border security, more immigration judges and allowing for immigrants to apply for asylum back in their home countries rather than making an often dangerous journey to the United States.

"It would be safer. It would be much more humane. ... It's something that we should be doing," he said.

Manchin, part of a shrinking group of centrist senators, is at the center of the 50-50 Senate, where he has an outsized influence on nearly every policy debate. Cuellar noted near the start of the press conference that Manchin "plays a very important role."

The border trip comes as Biden has come under criticism from Republicans, and Democrats have shown signs of concern about a surge of unaccompanied children arriving along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The U.S. was in custody of at least 15,000 migrant children as of late last week, and the federal government has struggled to secure enough housing for all of them, particularly during the pandemic.

Manchin said that his characterization of the surge as a "crisis," wasn't criticism of Biden.

"When I call this a crisis, I'm not blaming the crisis on the present administration of President Biden, the former administration of President Trump," he said. "This has been a human crisis for a long, long time."

Manchin added that he planned to return to Washington, D.C., and discuss his trip with both Biden and his colleagues.

Biden has proposed a sweeping, comprehensive immigration reform bill, though it's unlikely that could pass in the Senate where 10 GOP votes would be needed. A bipartisan group is also holding talks about a smaller bill that would address immigrants brought into the country illegally as children.

"This can happen," Manchin added about immigration legislation. "Common sense can prevail and that's what we're hopeful for."
There has been a lot of talk on the forum on how Manchin and the blue dogs will vote. This clarifies his position and I think his trip is an actual segway into putting a bipartisan bill on the floor; most likely from his group of 20 centralist senators.

Although its a long shot but as Rudy would say, "There is a non-zero" chance.

It's only 2 months into the administration, there is still lots of time left in the game for something to get done.

glacier1985 04-01-2021 09:36 PM

Re: Manchin Will to Vote Yes on Immigration

Nuke that shit !!!!!!
It's time

glacier1985 04-01-2021 09:37 PM

Nuke that shit !!!!!!
The time has come!!

made4u 04-01-2021 10:01 PM

Yeeeee good news. Give me work permit for life and allow me to travel the world. Im too old for this shit. I wanna go see places. I dont care about voting or being a citizen let me live my life see my homeland and my parents.

2MoreYears 04-01-2021 11:13 PM

It feels he's willing to nuke it then...

lakers1824 04-01-2021 11:21 PM

still leaves uf with Tester and Sinema. Manchin voted for comprehensive reform in 2014. Don't remember how Tester voted that year but I recall getting like 60+ votes for that immigration bill. But filibuster isn't going away. Our only hope will be giving Republicans border security in exchange for DACA/TPS legalization. Only way full immigration reform passes for the 11+ million is if Dems win 2-3 more senate seats and keep the house in 22. Odds are they will lose the house thanks to gerrymandering and they are likely to pick up 2-3 seats and possibly lose only 1 if any senate seats in 22. That way they can kill the filibuster and Manchin, Sinema will have no role in deciding the outcome.

jorgeag92 04-01-2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by made4u (Post 759173)
Yeeeee good news. Give me work permit for life and allow me to travel the world. Im too old for this shit. I wanna go see places. I dont care about voting or being a citizen let me live my life see my homeland and my parents.

Your homeland? Isn't your homeland supposed to be here....isnt that why you want a green card? Lol

ElBorra2 04-01-2021 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgeag92 (Post 759176)
Your homeland? Isn't your homeland supposed to be here....isnt that why you want a green card? Lol

He probably meant motherland.

Got_Daca 04-01-2021 11:53 PM

Enola gay that shit

Smooth 04-02-2021 05:50 AM

I farted when I read this