DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Those who had SSN before DACA (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84288)

Got_Daca 04-21-2020 10:59 AM

Those who had SSN before DACA

Did you guys do anything to update your SSN status after you got your DACA?

I vaguely remember people updating their status with SSA but can't recall what was the process

I am afraid because I didn't update with SSA that my stimulus money is being held up

Swim19 04-21-2020 11:05 AM

Re: Those who had SSN before DACA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got_Daca (Post 746668)

I vaguely remember people updating their status with SSA but can't recall what was the process

I am afraid because I didn't update with SSA that my stimulus money is being held up

Yes, I went to the SS office and received a new card that said *valid for work only with DHS authorization*. I kept the same # just an updated card.

Got_Daca 04-21-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 746669)
Yes, I went to the SS office and received a new card that said *valid for work only with DHS authorization*. I kept the same # just an updated card.

Thanks

My pre-daca SS card already had nothing on it. So I didn't do anything

Should I have done something?

Nycgal111 04-21-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got_Daca (Post 746668)

No, I didn’t update it and I still got my stimulus. The only way you would update it now is if you get a green card and then you would get a regular social that doesn’t say only valid for work with DHS authorization.

Got_Daca 04-21-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nycgal111 (Post 746682)
No, I didn’t update it and I still got my stimulus. The only way you would update it now is if you get a green card and then you would get a regular social that doesn’t say only valid for work with DHS authorization.

Thanks for this

JJ Glo 04-21-2020 07:19 PM

If your SSN is not valid for employment, you won't get the money, so if someone forgot to update their status with the SSA, they probably won't get their money.

Got_Daca 04-21-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ Glo (Post 746697)
If your SSN is not valid for employment, you won't get the money, so if someone forgot to update their status with the SSA, they probably won't get their money.

Always a downer

DACA-IR-DA 04-25-2020 07:06 PM

I had a SSN # and card but it was 'Not valid for employment'. I did not qualify for DACA.

When I got my EAD based on AOS. I went to SS office and applied for a new card. I got it in the mail and it had 'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'. I have a Green Card now but the birth year is incorrect on it. So, when I get my GC then I will go to SS office again and get an unrestricted SS Card.

Demise 04-26-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DACA-IR-DA (Post 746905)
I had a SSN # and card but it was 'Not valid for employment'. I did not qualify for DACA.

When I got my EAD based on AOS. I went to SS office and applied for a new card. I got it in the mail and it had 'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'. I have a Green Card now but the birth year is incorrect on it. So, when I get my GC then I will go to SS office again and get an unrestricted SS Card.

You could just get a I-551 stamp and use that to get a new social security card.

Got_Daca 04-26-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demise (Post 746923)
You could just get a I-551 stamp and use that to get a new social security card.

How to get that stamp?