DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Press Release: DreamActivist Welcomes Ninth Circuit Decision that would provide Green (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32192)

plOp 09-28-2012 02:34 AM

Press Release: DreamActivist Welcomes Ninth Circuit Decision that would provide Green

Press Release: DreamActivist Welcomes Ninth Circuit Decision That Would Provide Green Cards to Thousands of Young Immigrants

http://www.dreamactivist.org/press-r...ng-immigrants/

Great news out of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, which has ruled that a Board of Immigration Appeals interpretation of the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA), improperly excluded a large class of young immigrants, including a lot of Dreamers, from being eligible for immediate lawful residence.
Rosalina Cuellar de Osorio challenged the BIA’s interpretation of the CSPA in Matter of Wang before the 9th Circuit. She initially lost before a three judge panel, but the court sitting en banc agreed to rehear the case.
A number of organizations submitted briefs in support of Cuellar de Osorio’s case, including DreamActivist. DreamActvist was represented by Benach Ragland.
On September 26, 2012, the Ninth Circuit in a 6-5 split, overturned Matter of Wang in Cuellar de Osorio v. Mayorkas, stating:
“We conclude that the plain language of the CSPA unambiguously grants automatic conversion and priority date retention to aged-out derivative beneficiaries. The BIA’s interpretation of the statute conflicts with the plain language of the CSPA, and it is not entitled to deference.”
The Ninth Circuit now joins the Fifth Circuit in rejecting the position of the BIA. It will allow many young people who were the derivative beneficiaries of previous petitions filed for them to apply for a green card, even if they were aged-out of the process after they turned 21. This is great news for many young people, including many Dreamers, who would no longer have to face lengthy separation from their families and deportation from their homes.
The impact of this case is felt personally by many Dreamers, who have been aged-out of the process and thrust into removal proceedings.
“I still don’t know how to react. I’ve been fighting this for such a long time. My next court hearing is scheduled on October 11 and I will go to the Immigration Judge and tell her that I am ready to get my green card,” says Prerna Lal, a co-founder of DreamActivist, who aged out of an immigrant petition filed by her U.S. citizen grandmother back in 2001. By the time her mother was able to gain residency using the 2001 priority date, Prerna was over the age of 21 and USCIS refused to grant her a green card, placing her in removal proceedings, even while the rest of her family gained legal residency. If the Ninth Circuit decision stands, Prerna will now be able to use the 2001 priority date to prove to the court that she has been eligible for a green card for several years now.
On May 11, 2012, DreamActivist filed an amicus brief with the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in Cuellar de Osorio v. Mayorkas asking the Court to reject the Board of Immigration Appeals decision in Matter of Wang, which unnecessarily limited the class of individuals who could gain the benefits of the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA). This represented the first time that a Court heard directly from Dreamers on a question of statutory interpretation and public policy.

iDream 09-28-2012 02:35 AM

Re: Press Release: DreamActivist Welcomes Ninth Circuit Decision that would provide G

hey brotha Plop...
im soo happy about this because my case is under this.
Im just waiting for my parents to receive their GC so they can file mines up. :D

beachgirlx19 09-28-2012 12:57 PM

Re: Press Release: DreamActivist Welcomes Ninth Circuit Decision that would provide G

What if I have no one to file for me ?

Demise 09-28-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachgirlx19 (Post 320060)
What if I have no one to file for me ?

Doesn't help unless you aged out by turning 21 while a petition was still pending.

dreamy14 09-28-2012 05:10 PM

This could be a good news for some aged-out dreamers that are not eligible for DACA, but maybe eligible for this.

:)

mumblebee 09-28-2012 11:38 PM

ohmanohmanohman

erika86 09-30-2012 02:26 PM

what does age out mean? my mom filed for me back 05 when i was 19, did i age out?

plOp 09-30-2012 04:45 PM

My understanding of aged out means, if your parents are in a petition and they get their green card after waiting a long time. Because the process takes a long time, it's usually common for children to turn 21 and they won't be under the petition anymore and that's what would be considered aged out of the petition. So instead of getting a green card along with your parents, because you turned 21 you won't be in it anymore, and your parents have to file another petition for you, that will probably take a long time.

mmohs2 10-01-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDream (Post 319750)
hey brotha Plop...
im soo happy about this because my case is under this.
Im just waiting for my parents to receive their GC so they can file mines up. :D

Hey I'm over 21 and undocumented and my mom will be getting her green card through marriage, does this news affect me ???

Nutcase 10-02-2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmohs2 (Post 324404)
Hey I'm over 21 and undocumented and my mom will be getting her green card through marriage, does this news affect me ???

It helps only if your relative had petitioned you for a green card but then you turned 21 and got aged out.