DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Updating EAD with employer (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84027)

Mercpop 11-27-2019 06:21 AM

Updating EAD with employer

My Work permit experies in 02/2020. I recieved my renewal for another 2 years. Should I tell my employer of my renewal if they dont ask me? If so can I get in trouble in the future over not telling them? Im looking at my options for staying in my job in case daca isn't fixed and im also getting and AOS after i get married next year.

Rogue414 11-27-2019 09:27 AM

Re: Updating EAD with employer

I did not tell HR; DACA is in limbo. I’d like to keep working if things go south. I am also going the AOS route but we are waiting for now to see what happens.

frbc13 11-27-2019 10:42 AM

So you have a new permit? Just tell them you need to update your work permit and give them the new one and that's it. It would be different if you didn't have the new one yet.

JohannBernoulli1667 11-27-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue414 (Post 743291)
I did not tell HR; DACA is in limbo. I’d like to keep working if things go south. I am also going the AOS route but we are waiting for now to see what happens.

I would wait until you have green card on hand to tell them. Unless they ask you for it.

End of story

If for some fed up reason you get denied because of an asshole adjucator and daca is gone then you won't have periods of lapsed ead.

P. S that has happened according to my lawyer. She recommended applying for daca regardless of AOS.

MIdreamer 11-27-2019 11:39 AM

Don't ask don't tell

2MoreYears 11-27-2019 11:40 AM

Don't ask. Don't tell.

beingoflight 11-27-2019 05:41 PM

Just hand over your EAD to HR ASAP.

Its idiotic not doing so.

Ive been on leadership positions and DACA hasnt affected me at all.

HR will get a letter by DHS saying your permit is about to expire. By avoiding that letter getting to them you avoid more people knowing about your status.

Malign0n 11-27-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beingoflight (Post 743296)
Just hand over your EAD to HR ASAP.

Its idiotic not doing so.

Ive been on leadership positions and DACA hasnt affected me at all.

HR will get a letter by DHS saying your permit is about to expire. By avoiding that letter getting to them you avoid more people knowing about your status.

Where do you get this information about DHS sending a letter?

No. That's not a thing.

If the company participates in E-Verify, then your electronic I-9 case will send a notification to HR. Some places don't check those notifications, others do. If I were you, I would let them come to you. Since you have active employment authorization, it won't be an issue and you just show them your new EAD when they ask for it.

This also gives you an idea if they will check in the future if DACA is affected later on. That way you can plan ahead.

iel87 12-01-2019 06:32 PM

When I was working for a national retailer, they hounded me 90 days before it expired, they knew that it was expiring. My current job hasn't asked for anything and has expired twice, but my employer is small.

beingoflight 12-02-2019 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 743298)
Where do you get this information about DHS sending a letter?

No. That's not a thing.

If the company participates in E-Verify, then your electronic I-9 case will send a notification to HR. Some places don't check those notifications, others do. If I were you, I would let them come to you. Since you have active employment authorization, it won't be an issue and you just show them your new EAD when they ask for it.

This also gives you an idea if they will check in the future if DACA is affected later on. That way you can plan ahead.

Yes there is, and emails too, few years back my lead HR team showed them to me, when mine was about to expire in 2015, thats how i know about this.