DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   AOS through marriage (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84781)

dreampro17 02-05-2021 11:03 AM

AOS through marriage

Hi All,
I could use the experience and help from anyone who did this.
I would like do this without an attorney and wanted to know if there is a link with a self file details.
What list of documents are needed?
Passport? mine is expiring in less than 6 months.

Thank you sooo very much!!

eRkah 02-05-2021 02:37 PM

Re: AOS through marriage

There are a ton of articles online on this process, simply search AOS via marriage and read up a few of them and take your own notes. A lot of them list documents that are needed and recommended, so you should also start making your own list. Your passport doesn't need to be valid/unexpired, but you'll need proof of your I-94 inspection / the passport you entered the country with

Also recommend reading the application and instructions for each form completely (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-130A, I-765, etc)

Once you start reading and have specific questions, the forums visajourney and immihelp are helpful

It's not too hard to do it without an attorney, you just have to put in the time to do the reading (a lot) to make sure you cover everything.

good luck!

vft1008 02-05-2021 02:51 PM

I am very detailed oriented and and super organized and have always done my DACA applications and paperwork by myself.

For something so important as AOS, though, I would go with a good attorney. Just not worth a slip up to me.

neoair 02-05-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreampro17 (Post 757047)
Hi All,
I could use the experience and help from anyone who did this.
I would like do this without an attorney and wanted to know if there is a link with a self file details.
What list of documents are needed?
Passport? mine is expiring in less than 6 months.

Thank you sooo very much!!

Just get an attorney, they will be interviewing you and having an attorney behind you will ease off some tensions.

loquito23 02-06-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eRkah (Post 757069)
There are a ton of articles online on this process, simply search AOS via marriage and read up a few of them and take your own notes. A lot of them list documents that are needed and recommended, so you should also start making your own list. Your passport doesn't need to be valid/unexpired, but you'll need proof of your I-94 inspection / the passport you entered the country with

Also recommend reading the application and instructions for each form completely (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-130A, I-765, etc)

Once you start reading and have specific questions, the forums visajourney and immihelp are helpful

It's not too hard to do it without an attorney, you just have to put in the time to do the reading (a lot) to make sure you cover everything.

good luck!

This!! Totally agree. If you have a straight forward case and Entered with inspection or cleared EWI with advance parole then there is no need to pay a lawyer. There is tons of info online and youtube. Just search AOS marriage 2021. In case things have changed. But if you have a more complicated case then definitely contact an attorney!

I did my AOS by myself in 2019 and had no problems at all. You just have to be super organized and read all the questions carefully when you fill out forms. I have to do ROC end of this year and will be doing it myself. To be honest, I don’t fully trust lawyers. They can miss something or not be on top of things etc. So if you go that route please ask around for a good reputable attorney.

Good luck!

Dream becomes Reality 02-06-2021 05:21 PM

I second the above. I did all my DACA, AOS and Citizenship paperwork without ever consulting an attorney so it is possible. I was brought on a B-2 visa as a child so I was a visa overstay.

If you have specific questions please ask and I will be happy to share my experience.

dreampro17 02-09-2021 12:45 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I did my initial DACA with a reputable attorney. Their office delayed sending it off and when they did it had numerous mistakes including an incorrect number on the address. I did everyone afterwards myself. I know this application is more detailed.

dreampro17 02-09-2021 01:36 PM

is there any website is a concise list of forms and documents needed? or any list or link anyone can share?

catchafallingstar 02-25-2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreampro17 (Post 757229)
is there any website is a concise list of forms and documents needed? or any list or link anyone can share?

Hi there, I went though the same process with an attorney but ultimately felt I did not need one. I probably could've done it on my own and saved myself the 2K

Some tips from my experience:
1. Are you an overstay? Then you will need your original Visa you used to enter the US and the I-94 they stamped at the border
2. You will need an unexpired Passport
3. Marriage License
4. Anything that proves your marriage is bona fide including birth certificate of your children, mortgage documents with both of your names, joint bank accounts etc., photos from over the years, anything else you can think of that proves that your relationship is real.
5. Your spouse's birth certificate or naturalization document
6. Completed I-130 Form
7. Completed I-485 Form
8. Sealed and stamped medical examination documents

Check the Instructions for anything else I might have missed but I think the above are the most important. Hope this helps and good luck!

bettertomorrow1 02-25-2021 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catchafallingstar (Post 757657)
Hi there, I went though the same process with an attorney but ultimately felt I did not need one. I probably could've done it on my own and saved myself the 2K

Some tips from my experience:
1. Are you an overstay? Then you will need your original Visa you used to enter the US and the I-94 they stamped at the border
2. You will need an unexpired Passport
3. Marriage License
4. Anything that proves your marriage is bona fide including birth certificate of your children, mortgage documents with both of your names, joint bank accounts etc., photos from over the years, anything else you can think of that proves that your relationship is real.
5. Your spouse's birth certificate or naturalization document
6. Completed I-130 Form
7. Completed I-485 Form
8. Sealed and stamped medical examination documents

Check the Instructions for anything else I might have missed but I think the above are the most important. Hope this helps and good luck!

How do you get an unexpired passport? I thought we couldn’t get it since were not here legally?