DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=85126)

CUSenior 09-16-2021 07:53 PM

Re: Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacvbo (Post 763729)
I read about it yesterday. Even Durbin confirmed this could take weeks. She has to analyze everything included on the bill, not just the legalization of 8 million people. At the end, we will most likely hear what will stay and what will go. My hope is that at least she minimizes this to just us dreamers.

So she’s giving a decision on the whole thing instead of just making a decision on immigration?

ralsingh 09-16-2021 08:19 PM

Re: Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CUSenior (Post 763731)
So she’s giving a decision on the whole thing instead of just making a decision on immigration?

As much as we would like the bill to AT LEAST contain legalization for Dreamers, I can't see how "less" is better in this case. In budget reconciliation, providing legalization EN MASSE to millions would probably be more effective in convincing the parliamentarian that the immigration provision is added primarily to impact the economy and federal budget.

It seems to me that it's more about whether she would agree to both (1) legalizing the undocumented, and (2) greencard backlogs for the documented. I don't think there will be any further drilling down that these two options.

txgirl 09-16-2021 10:05 PM

Re: Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation
 
Once this makes its rounds in the news and since title 42 was shut down today… doesn’t look like we will get the answer we want from the parliamentarian.

https://twitter.com/billfoxla/status...493378562?s=21

2MoreYears 09-16-2021 10:29 PM

Re: Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation
 
Holy crap that a lot of ppl.

hDreamer1988 09-16-2021 11:55 PM

Re: Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation
 
Perfect time, give the GOP even more ammo to slam out cause.. Anytime time is a chance at legalization, this happens, and we get f-ed on fox and in the new media.

CUSenior 09-17-2021 12:35 AM

Re: Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralsingh (Post 763733)
As much as we would like the bill to AT LEAST contain legalization for Dreamers, I can't see how "less" is better in this case. In budget reconciliation, providing legalization EN MASSE to millions would probably be more effective in convincing the parliamentarian that the immigration provision is added primarily to impact the economy and federal budget.

It seems to me that it's more about whether she would agree to both (1) legalizing the undocumented, and (2) greencard backlogs for the documented. I don't think there will be any further drilling down that these two options.


I think you might have misunderstood me. I just wanted to know if she was just making a decision on immigration or if she was gonna make it on immigration or other things too like climate and other things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by txgirl (Post 763734)
Once this makes its rounds in the news and since title 42 was shut down today… doesn’t look like we will get the answer we want from the parliamentarian.

https://twitter.com/billfoxla/status...493378562?s=21

The parliamentarian is apolitical. I doubt that this is gonna affect her decision.

Blackfyre 09-17-2021 12:48 AM

Re: Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AleiaTheEnchanted (Post 763725)
When will we hear about her decision? Any guess?

Quote:

Originally Posted by txgirl (Post 763734)
Once this makes its rounds in the news and since title 42 was shut down today… doesn’t look like we will get the answer we want from the parliamentarian.

https://twitter.com/billfoxla/status...493378562?s=21

Didn't realize one of the Byrd rules was "must be politically convenient"

skysla 09-17-2021 03:17 AM

Re: Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation
 
If the Democrats and Republicans were negotiating a deal for an immigration reform, such an event would affect the whole negotiation process because there is no doubt the Republicans would say "Look at this crisis. We can't do this right now. Pause this now.", which is precisely what they did earlier this year. It's their typical thing to do.

But, this whole process does not involve any Republican. It will all come down to how open-minded the parliamentarian is and how she interprets the Byrd rules for the immigration provisions after the Democrats' argument for including them in reconciliation.

Swim19 09-17-2021 09:11 AM

Re: Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CUSenior (Post 763741)
I think you might have misunderstood me. I just wanted to know if she was just making a decision on immigration or if she was gonna make it on immigration or other things too like climate and other things.



The parliamentarian is apolitical. I doubt that this is gonna affect her decision.

Every provision in the Reconciliation bill must satisfy the Bryd Rule. So yes that includes other things than immigration. I don't know if she will announce it all at once - what passed the Byrd Rule or as she decides each section separately.

ralsingh 09-17-2021 09:34 AM

Re: Fox News: Senate awaits ruling on Dem plan to pass immigration in reconciliation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 763745)
Every provision in the Reconciliation bill must satisfy the Bryd Rule. So yes that includes other things than immigration. I don't know if she will announce it all at once - what passed the Byrd Rule or as she decides each section separately.

Just to add, Byrd Rule is NOT self-enforcing. A senator has to raise a point of order before a provision can be considered for Byrd Rule.

Most likely, Republicans will raise a point of order for immigration and climate change.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.