DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   DO /POD School (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=81668)

jaws 04-21-2018 12:48 AM

DO /POD School

Has anyone had any issues applying to DO or POD schools. I've seen a lot of literature for MD schools but none for DO or POD. I have seen lists of MD schools that accept DACA but none for DO or POD. If you've been accepted or are navigate the waters as well, let me know how you're doing .

Should I even include that I'm a DACA student in my personal statement?

If this information is up somewhere I didn't find it, spare me the sass.

freshh. 04-21-2018 01:45 PM

Re: DO /POD School

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaws (Post 702281)
Has anyone had any issues applying to DO or POD schools. I've seen a lot of literature for MD schools but none for DO or POD. I have seen lists of MD schools that accept DACA but none for DO or POD. If you've been accepted or are navigate the waters as well, let me know how you're doing.

Should I even include that I'm a DACA student in my personal statement?

If this information is up somewhere I didn't find it, spare me the sass.

First, congrats on deciding to go to med school! I'm applying next cycle. Planning to take the MCAT March 2019.

It's tough finding information on DO programs. I'm not planning to apply to podiatry school, so I haven't looked into their DACA policies, to be honest.

I can share the links that I've found so far.

As far as your personal statement goes, I think it's definitely up to you. If being undocumented has influenced your decision to attend medical school, it is worth being the focus of your personal statement. Otherwise, you do not have to include it (but I'm not 100% sure where else you would have the opportunity to mention this to Adcoms).

jaws 04-21-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshh. (Post 702320)
First, congrats on deciding to go to med school! I'm applying next cycle. Planning to take the MCAT March 2019.

It's tough finding information on DO programs. I'm not planning to apply to podiatry school, so I haven't looked into their DACA policies, to be honest.

I can share the links that I've found so far.

As far as your personal statement goes, I think it's definitely up to you. If being undocumented has influenced your decision to attend medical school, it is worth being the focus of your personal statement. Otherwise, you do not have to include it (but I'm not 100% sure where else you would have the opportunity to mention this to Adcoms).

See I think it would be critical to my personal statement. DACA gave me, like many others a backbone. But I'm worried that I would be rejected based off of the fact that I'm daca. I know that Adcom read our statements and goes over our application but I don't know if they would know I'm DACA unless I told them. Obviously my social and legal paperwork would give that away, but It's not like it's something they look out for . I don't really know if it's something that can be held against me.

johnfreyan 04-22-2018 02:19 AM

Hey. Current MD student here. I'm also on my school's interview committee (so I interview people with focus based on their grades/personap statement). PM me if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help (both of you). :)

freshh. 04-22-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaws (Post 702344)
See I think it would be critical to my personal statement. DACA gave me, like many others a backbone. But I'm worried that I would be rejected based off of the fact that I'm daca. I know that Adcom read our statements and goes over our application but I don't know if they would know I'm DACA unless I told them. Obviously my social and legal paperwork would give that away, but It's not like it's something they look out for . I don't really know if it's something that can be held against me.

I would definitely include it. I will be addressing my status because it has played a role in my decision to pursue medicine as well. Speaking with some other DACAmented med students, it isn’t held against you in any way. As a matter of fact many see it as a strength because it is an obstacle yet we have persevered to reach this point in our careers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnfreyan (Post 702353)
Hey. Current MD student here. I'm also on my school's interview committee (so I interview people with focus based on their grades/personap statement). PM me if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help (both of you). :)

Thanks! ;)

Phryne_MD 04-25-2018 10:50 AM

I will be starting Medical School this fall, please let me know if you guys have any specific questions about applying, interviewing or others. @Jaws , I pm'ed to answer some of your concerns. Good Luck!!

freshh. 04-26-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phryne_MD (Post 702723)
I will be starting Medical School this fall, please let me know if you guys have any specific questions about applying, interviewing or others. @Jaws , I pm'ed to answer some of your concerns. Good Luck!!

Congrats! :D

I'm just really glad to see that despite everything, we are still getting through this and pursuing this passion.

Thank you for sharing your stories!

fl_dreamer 04-26-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaws (Post 702344)

Play the "being from an immigrant family.." card. I would not include anything about DACA. Better safe that sorry

Phryne_MD 04-27-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshh. (Post 702884)
Congrats! :D

I'm just really glad to see that despite everything, we are still getting through this and pursuing this passion.

Thank you for sharing your stories!

Thank you, is def possible. To the poster above I disagree. You are limited to the schools you can apply because not all schools accept DACA applicants, but honestly all successful applicants I know were honest about their status. If a school doesn't support you bc of DACA then this is a school that wouldn't have your back anyways. Med school is hard, being DACA is hard, being in a supportive environment is crucial during this period. Additionally, you cant just lie or pretend you are not DACA, it will come out sooner or later and you do have to identify your status in your primary application, and thanks to advocacy efforts by previous pre-med dreamers, DACA is actually an option you can choose, we are def visible. For financial aid purposes, the schools have to know, and the sooner they know about your status the sooner they can figure out ways to help you or even be honest with you if they cant help you financially. Again, feel free to ask me any questions if you have when you apply.

johnfreyan 04-28-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_dreamer (Post 702891)
Play the "being from an immigrant family.." card. I would not include anything about DACA. Better safe that sorry

If the school declares itself as available for DACA applicants, they are obviously not seeing DACA as a detriment. They would in fact interpret that as a huge "overcomimg hardship" factor, which is a giant plus.