DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What's your plan for aging parents? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84960)

IamAman 06-05-2021 09:27 PM

What's your plan for aging parents?

I know a lot of your parents here are undocumented so I'm wondering if you guys have a plan to care for them when they reach the age where things start going bad. Elder care is a bit of a nightmare even for the documented and citizens.

Mine are actually documented and had paid enough into Social Security and Medicare to have it but dealing with a heart condition is absolutely kicking our collective asses. If we reach the point where one needs a nursing home, it would mean that they'd have to be on Medicaid which means they can't have any assets and the house that we all paid for and were hoping would be our inheritance some day would be taken by the government.

It's more complicated than that if there is a surviving parent but overall, they can't have many assets either so don't be dumb like us and pay for a house and put it in your parents' name to make them feel good...don't put anything in their name if you plan on keeping it after they're gone. Anyway, the sooner you plan this stuff the easier life will be later. Instead of being worried about getting myself documented while there is a Democrat in the White House, all my worries is dealing with the healthcare of my parent, taking out the trash, buying groceries, helping him get dressed, etc. It really sucks.

2MoreYears 06-06-2021 11:37 PM

Re: What's your plan for aging parents?

I'll be taking care of them personally. I'm blessed to work from home so I can.

lachupacabra 06-07-2021 01:11 PM

Damn, that sucks. Can you change the owner of the house to someone else?

I'll probably have them move in with me. Not many diseases run in the family besides depression, anxiety, and osteoporosis.

Got_Daca 06-07-2021 03:47 PM

Dad was abusive so fk him. He left already got different family now

Mom always treated me like a huge obstacle in her life. Never ever told me happy birthday nor love you once.

These people were never in my life. I don't need them now

JayR9 06-07-2021 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 760645)
I know a lot of your parents here are undocumented so I'm wondering if you guys have a plan to care for them when they reach the age where things start going bad. Elder care is a bit of a nightmare even for the documented and citizens.

Mine are actually documented and had paid enough into Social Security and Medicare to have it but dealing with a heart condition is absolutely kicking our collective asses. If we reach the point where one needs a nursing home, it would mean that they'd have to be on Medicaid which means they can't have any assets and the house that we all paid for and were hoping would be our inheritance some day would be taken by the government.

It's more complicated than that if there is a surviving parent but overall, they can't have many assets either so don't be dumb like us and pay for a house and put it in your parents' name to make them feel good...don't put anything in their name if you plan on keeping it after they're gone. Anyway, the sooner you plan this stuff the easier life will be later. Instead of being worried about getting myself documented while there is a Democrat in the White House, all my worries is dealing with the healthcare of my parent, taking out the trash, buying groceries, helping him get dressed, etc. It really sucks.

Yes, I been planning their retirement over these past four years. They will most likely live with my brother or I when they can't take care of themselves. One of my mentors at my hospital job actually built a really cool attached house with her oldest son. It's about 3000 sq ft ranch house on one side and other side is a 2 story home. I'm thinking of doing something similar or very least they live a few blocks away.

Demise 06-10-2021 05:56 PM

Making sure that I live in a state without filial responsibility laws.

IamAman 06-10-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lachupacabra (Post 760666)
Damn, that sucks. Can you change the owner of the house to someone else?

I'll probably have them move in with me. Not many diseases run in the family besides depression, anxiety, and osteoporosis.

Ironically, the house was in someone else's name but when that person got married, a certain parent (not the one with the current health issues) was all worried that if they ever got divorced, they'd lose the house so they insisted on putting the house in their name. Giant face palm. It's no wonder I'm in my current mess with my status because our family has done everything ass backwards.

Also that's a doable plan. Things like heart issues, Alzheimer, or immobility in general is what causes havoc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demise (Post 760743)
Making sure that I live in a state without filial responsibility laws.

Well I guess Texas isn't all that bad then lol.

Demise 06-12-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 760757)
Well I guess Texas isn't all that bad then lol.

I'm in Minnesota these days. I enjoy the plains outside cities even if milk comes in a bag eh.