View Single Post
03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Joined in Mar 2011
2 posts
umaysayimadreamer
Hope my past experiences help someone, all of this happened after 2004. It's all about taking a calculated risk. I try to limit my travel and avoid certain airports/states but at the end of the day I go with an attitude of "que sera sera, whatever will be will be" just be prepared for the worst case scenario. Have numbers of people or community groups you can call for legal help, money, etc.

I don't have a US driver's license or other state ID so I've traveled with the Mexican Consular ID but in the last 5 years have switched to a Mexican passport issued in the US.

On Amtrack: No! Do not travel by train specially in upstate New York, there is a huge number of cases of people being arrested after a search by Border Patrol. Does this mean everyone, no, but there's a higher risk in that area.

Greyhound: I always thought it was only an issue in the Southwest but on my second bus trip returning from New York City Border Patrol boarded the bus in Toledo, Ohio. We were questioned and thankfully I wasn't asked to show an ID but they ended up taking about 4 people off the bus. Needless to say I was uber freaked out and since then don't use Greyhound.

Air travel: After a few incidents at O'Hare airport where people where arrested while waiting at arrivals for their family members from Mexico, I've stayed away and use Midway Airport instead. I've only traveled to the East Coast.

One time the guy looked at my Mexican Consular card for about 3 minutes flipping it over in his hands, looking at me, back at the card... this felt like forever but finally he let me through.

On the return flight from Atlanta the man looked at my photo on my passport then proceeded to flip slowly through every single page in my obviously empty passport (no visa, no stamp of having come into the country). He finally gave it back and let me through.

When it comes to air travel I don't believe TSA has the imperative to check for legal status but neither does a cop (in most areas) yet if you get the one racist, a**hole that wants to screw you over, it doesn't matter whether he was within his rights or not because now you've been detected.

Other than that I've taken about 4 or 5 trips with no issues. try not to get nervous and be assertive, pick a TSA official that looks happy - as a female I try to pick men...hey gotta use every trick. It seems people in large groups are more conspicuous because it seems like there's a smuggler and his human traffic.
Post your reply or quote more messages.