View Single Post
07-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Joined in Feb 2010
1,678 posts
kikibay92
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4l View Post
kikibay can you explain your history in having 2 current different passports. I am curious how that came about
Yes, master. Hong Kong was a British colony for about 160 years. Before Hong Kong returned to China in 1997, every Hong Konger holds a British oversea passport(BNO). On the passport, we are British citizens without the rights of permanent residency in U.K. But it allows visa free visiting to all EU and commonwealth nations and temporary stay. It is also easier to immigrate to Canada and Australia. The nationality is for life and can be renewed 'til death. However, it may not pass down to children.

After 1997, we were given the Hong Kong passport as self governed territories of China. According to the passport, we are Chinese citizen without the right to reside in China. If we want to visit China, we must apply for visa(a special ID card). The nationality is also for life and can't be passed down to children.

I believe the same thing happens in Macau. But they were Portuguese. They are on the left side of Hong Kong and now also a part of China.

Hong Kong uses birthright citizenship and allows you to have multiple citizenships.I wasn't surprised that some of my friends hold the British, HK and US passports.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Passports of Macau, it has Portuguese on it. It is their official language.

The only difference is that their children are also Portuguese citizen.

Last edited by kikibay92; 07-08-2012 at 01:15 AM..
Post your reply or quote more messages.