View Single Post
12-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Joined in May 2017
156 posts
LMM
Home owner of 2 years now. I started in an apartment for 2 years as well and decided to get a home as rent and mortgage was essentially the same (+ $100 - $200 more/mo.)

Caliber Home Loans is pretty good, didn't have a single issue locking a rate with them.

Owning a home is a big responsibility but keep in mind that at this time, we should be able to keep a home at least 2 years (for those that are up-to-date on renewals). After two years, and if you pay your mortgage on-time, you should have enough credit to cover you with any future home purchases once DACA is fully out/expired.

Meaning that if you are forced to, you sell your home and when we get a permanent fix you can buy another without issues.

My biggest advice is we should all be saving as much as possible, if some of us are living with parents (help them and SAVE), if some of us are renting or have a home to keep up-to-date on payments and save at all costs.

If we have a home and we find ourselves out of a job, selling a home could be beneficial as most homes sell for higher amounts after some time. If recession kicks in then money saved will help to pay it off.

I don't have any regrets buying my home, I made improvements to it and I know it'll sell for higher when I'm ready to put it on the market.

Of course the goal for all of us should be to upgrade and aim higher as my idea is that my next home will be bigger than my current townhouse. But if all goes to crap then I can at least sell it and hopefully come out with some extra cash for any unforeseen circumstances.
Post your reply or quote more messages.