View Single Post
01-21-2015, 08:50 PM
Joined in Aug 2010
1,367 posts
Task_1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootie tang View Post
My EAD expired before I got my renewal so I worked for over a month with an expired EAD. HR never mentioned anything to me but I did call USCIS multiple times regarding my renewal and why it was taking so long. I was told multiple times (at least 5 different times) by USCIS that as long as my renewal application was pending that I was ok to work and i was not technically doing anything illegal, BUT that it was still up to my employer to actually keep me employed.
So basically, USCIS was ok with me working after my EAD expired so long as my current application was still pending but that my employer could fire me if they wanted to.

I have a friend who works for Toyota. His EAD was coming dangerously close to expiring so he brought it up to HR's attention. HR spoke with DOJ (not USCIS for whatever reason) and they said something similar to this, HR said they needed 2 things from my friend so they could keep him employed while the application was pending.

It never happened though since his EAD was magically approved a month earlier than what USCIS quoted him on the phone.