View Single Post
11-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Joined in Sep 2007
16 posts
az_dreamer
Quote:
Otherwise Eligible Immediate Relatives

If "otherwise eligible" to immigrate to the U.S., immediate relatives may adjust status to LPR (get a "green card") in the United States even if they may have done any of the following:

-worked without permission,

-remained in the U.S. past the period of lawful admission (e.g., past the expiration date on your I-94) and filed for adjustment of status while in an unlawful status because of that,

-failed otherwise to maintain lawful status and with the proper immigration documentation, or

-have been admitted as a visitor without a visa under sections 212(l) or 217 of the Act (which are the 15-day admission under the Guam visa waiver program and the 90-day admission under the Visa Waiver Program, respectively).
Can anyone tell me what this is all about? It seems that it contradicts the ban that applies to someone who has been in the U.S. after turning 18. I ask this because my stepdad is a U.S. citizen, and he wants to petition for me, but I'm not sure that's possible since I'm already 18. By the way, I got this from the U.S. immigration website.
Post your reply or quote more messages.