• Home
  • Today
  • Advocacy
  • Forum
Donate
  • login
  • register
Home

Forum links

  • Recent changes
  • Member list
  • Search
  • Register
Search Forums
 
Advanced Search
Go to Page...
DAP Forums > Other Topics > New Members

my story.

  • View
  • Post new reply
  • Thread tools
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • next ›
#1
08-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Senior Member
From California
Joined in Aug 2009
105 posts
IvanR017's Avatar
IvanR017
40 AP
My story begins 20 years ago. I was less than a year old when my parents decided to bring me to the US without inspection. They had already been living in the US for sometime (they had my brother and sister here). I still don't know why they decided to go back to Mexico while my mom was pregnant with me. Growing up here I always knew I was different, at least from my brother and sister. People would always ask my parents if I was born in Mexico, also my mom would always be worried about "La Migra," I was taught to avoid them.

When I was thirteen I saw my brother go to the DMV and get a license without any trouble, I somehow knew I wouldn't be able to do that, even though he was only three years older than me. In middle school, I won first place at the district science fair and received a savings bond as a reward; the principal called me into his office because I did not have a SSN on file and needed one to be able to receive the award. This was the first time that I realized that I needed a social.

High school went by for the most part without incident even though I wasn't able to go on my senior trip, was one of the few kids who did not drive, and had to turn down an invitation for summer seminars at USC. I did very well in school, I took several AP classes and scored 4's on every exam. I also go the highest SAT scores at my school, and luckily I graduated in the top 1% of the county, this allowed me to receive a Presidential Scholarship for a Cal State. I confided in only one person at my high school, my Academic Decathlon instructor. She told me about AB 540 and gave me hope to continue my education. I applied to several top schools, I got into every school I applied to (Columbia, NYU, CMC, Pepperdine) but I didnt bother applying for scholarships, I thought those schools were a little farfetched in terms of finances. Since no one knew of my situation, whenever anyone asked where I was going to school, and I said Cal State, they all took it upon themeselves to explain how that was a very bad choice on my part.

The summer between high school and college was a hard one, there was a lot of buzz around immigration in my hometown, there were some initiatives that were set forth that would make coming into contact with any undocumented person a crime. So my sister and I attended the local city hall protests and were in the chamber while the issue was presented to the mayor. I saw the face of racism and discrimination this day. A woman who could hardly speak english herself was in support of a law that would make conducting business in any other language illegal. Two very old women in wheel chairs cursing and flipping off any hispanic person they saw. I could only wonder what these people went through that made them so hateful. Of course the law did not pass, and everything went back to normal.

My first year of college was pretty great, I managed to get good grades and get a job. I met a girl and fell in love, and everything was great. One night I drove through a sobriety checkpoint and this brought me back to reality, although nothing too bad come from this, I couldnt help but be frustrated with life. As I started my second year I learned that my scholarship would not be renewed due to budget cuts at the same time I got in an accident and managed to wreck my car. Luckily my parents were able to pay for my tuition and buy me a new car.

This summer I began to worry about what would happen after I graduate, I want to be a doctor, and there is no way I can afford the cost of medical school. I wrote my lawyer hoping that he would have good news for me, and of course he said my best bet was for the DREAM Act to pass. That is when I decided to look up the Dream Act and came across this great website. Until that day I thought I was one of a few people in this situation. Although it sucks that there are so many of us, its a good feeling knowing that I'm not alone. I was truly amazed at how many incredibly educated people there are on here, if only the world knew what we all have to offer. Luckily I've managed to survive pretty well thus far, thanks to my amazing girlfriend and my family. Now all I need is for the Dream Act to pass so that I can do something to repay all the people who have helped me get this far.

And thank everyone on here for sharing your stories, they are great motivation for us to keep moving forward.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
IvanR017
View Public Profile
Send a private message to IvanR017
Find all posts by IvanR017
#2
08-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Junior Member
From Donna, Texas
Joined in Aug 2009
6 posts
msitkued.
0 AP
i can relate how u felt like your the only one. i feel that everyday when i hang out with my friends. it's very frustrating and emotional when you know u can't do the things your friends take for granted like getting a driver's licencse or getting a job. but reading everyone's story does make u realize that your not alone. and it gives me a sigh of relief.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
msitkued.
View Public Profile
Send a private message to msitkued.
Find all posts by msitkued.
#3
08-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Senior Member
From California
Joined in Aug 2009
105 posts
IvanR017's Avatar
IvanR017
40 AP
do your friends know? I never had the guts to tell anyone, except one person who was in the same situation. But my girlfriend tells everyone, lol, its easier to be around people who know, since i dont have to worry about them asking if i have a license or something like that.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
IvanR017
View Public Profile
Send a private message to IvanR017
Find all posts by IvanR017
#4
08-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Senior Member
From Los Angeles
Joined in Jan 2007
1,044 posts
drvenom's Avatar
drvenom
0 AP
Hey man, welcome to the forums. Yea, being undocumented sucks ass, but it makes you value other things. The reality is that we have to make the best out of this situation while we are in it. Sure, there are many things that we can't do, but then again there are tons that we can do. Hence, try to make the most out of the things that you can do. I know it is difficult, but being optimistic will make it easier to bear. Congrats on going to school, keep up the grades, and shoot for the stars...

Now as far as telling friends about your situation, it is best left up to one's good senses. I don't tell many people because people can be fucking crazy and use that shit against you when you least expect it. I told no one at my old work except for the manager, who found out on her own first; she told some other people too.

When people ask me why I don't drive I tell them that I am a shitty driver, but that I am a pimp at math. I don't go to clubs much so I don't worry about that; I prefer raves.
__________________
Year arrived and age at time of arrival: 1989, 8
Education level: Two Master's (Econ and Math); Can't afford a PhD.
DACA: I was too old by 5 days.
Expanded Daca: I should be good now.
Bitter? Optimistic
Last edited by drvenom; 08-24-2009 at 11:05 PM..
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
drvenom
View Public Profile
Send a private message to drvenom
Find all posts by drvenom
#5
08-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Junior Member
From Donna, Texas
Joined in Aug 2009
6 posts
msitkued.
0 AP
as a matter of fact a handful of my friends know. they always kept buggin me why i could never drive so i just let them know straight up. they're cool with it by giving me a ride here and there.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
msitkued.
View Public Profile
Send a private message to msitkued.
Find all posts by msitkued.
#6
08-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Senior Member
From California
Joined in Aug 2009
105 posts
IvanR017's Avatar
IvanR017
40 AP
Drvenom, you're like the posterchild for us always optimistic. lol. that attitude will get you far in life.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
IvanR017
View Public Profile
Send a private message to IvanR017
Find all posts by IvanR017
#7
08-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
From Los Angeles
Joined in Jan 2007
1,044 posts
drvenom's Avatar
drvenom
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanR017 View Post
Drvenom, you're like the posterchild for us always optimistic. lol. that attitude will get you far in life.
Shit I hope so. I've been down the pessimist road before and it earns you nothing but shitty attitude; it is just a bad acid trip if you will. Besides, I was just at Disneyland last week, so what kind of person would I be if I were pessimistic.
__________________
Year arrived and age at time of arrival: 1989, 8
Education level: Two Master's (Econ and Math); Can't afford a PhD.
DACA: I was too old by 5 days.
Expanded Daca: I should be good now.
Bitter? Optimistic
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
drvenom
View Public Profile
Send a private message to drvenom
Find all posts by drvenom
#8
08-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Moderator
From Illinois/Florida
Joined in Jul 2009
2,219 posts
buckminsterfullerene's Avatar
buckminsterfullerene
270 AP
I have always wondered what my life would be like if my friends knew of my situation.
somehow I think it would be so much better, but have never found the guts to try that out.
I wonder, if the DA passes, do you guys think you will let friends know that you are a dreamer, or will you keep it to yourself and continue life as if nothing had happened?

I am unsure to the answer for that question, but I would like to think that I would post it on facebook and let the 416 people in my friends list know of my status that probably never suspected I was in that situation, I wonder what they would say?

Either way, welcome to DAP
Last edited by buckminsterfullerene; 08-25-2009 at 01:44 AM..
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
buckminsterfullerene
View Public Profile
Send a private message to buckminsterfullerene
Find all posts by buckminsterfullerene
#9
08-25-2009, 03:28 AM
Senior Member
From California
Joined in Aug 2009
105 posts
IvanR017's Avatar
IvanR017
40 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvenom View Post
Shit I hope so. I've been down the pessimist road before and it earns you nothing but shitty attitude; it is just a bad acid trip if you will. Besides, I was just at Disneyland last week, so what kind of person would I be if I were pessimistic.
yeah, its pretty hard to be pessimistic when you're at disneyland, my picture was taken at disneyland, thats a pretty amazing place.

and i think it would be a big relief confiding at least one of your friends. Its good to have someone know what you're going through, even if they dont completely understand.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
IvanR017
View Public Profile
Send a private message to IvanR017
Find all posts by IvanR017
#10
08-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
Joined in Apr 2009
566 posts
loquito23's Avatar
loquito23
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckminsterfullerene View Post
I have always wondered what my life would be like if my friends knew of my situation.
somehow I think it would be so much better, but have never found the guts to try that out.
I wonder, if the DA passes, do you guys think you will let friends know that you are a dreamer, or will you keep it to yourself and continue life as if nothing had happened?

I am unsure to the answer for that question, but I would like to think that I would post it on facebook and let the 416 people in my friends list know of my status that probably never suspected I was in that situation, I wonder what they would say?

Either way, welcome to DAP
I would tell them only when I have some type of legal status. Like while the green card application is pending but I have EAD. That way if they react the opposite I thought they would then I can say well I was illegal but im legal now so shut up. lol. something like that.
__________________
Self filed AOS │Apps Received By USCIS - 05/30/19
Biometrics Done - 06/21/19 | Interview Scheduled - 1/31/20
Interview Date - 3/16/20 | AOS Approval - 3/17/20
Green Card Received - 3/23/20
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
loquito23
View Public Profile
Send a private message to loquito23
Find all posts by loquito23
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • next ›


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Contact Us - DREAM Act Portal - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.