• Home
  • Today
  • Advocacy
  • Forum
Donate
  • login
  • register
Home

Forum links

  • Recent changes
  • Member list
  • Search
  • Register
Search Forums
 
Advanced Search
Go to Page...
DAP Forums > DREAM Act > The Lounge

Some questions regarding what you can and cant do with DACA

  • View
  • Post new reply
  • Thread tools
#1
02-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Member
Joined in Dec 2013
64 posts
johnnytest
0 AP
Well, my daca was approved after a month wait, and I just recently got my beginner's permit. I need to keep that for 6 months, then I will be able to get my driver's license . I have a few questions regarding what we can, and can't do, with deferred action.


1) Can we start bank accounts? Can some banks deny us, or no? How about credit cards? Can we make credit cards or no?

2) What about phone contracts? I want to use my name for my family's phone contract (instead of a friend's, like we've been doing), is that possible to do with DACA?

3) Can we travel via airlines in the US? What documents do we need to show when we travel in airplanes through states?

Thanks
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
johnnytest
View Public Profile
Send a private message to johnnytest
Find all posts by johnnytest
#2
02-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Aug 2013
248 posts
latinbaby83
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytest View Post
Well, my daca was approved after a month wait, and I just recently got my beginner's permit. I need to keep that for 6 months, then I will be able to get my driver's license . I have a few questions regarding what we can, and can't do, with deferred action.


1) Can we start bank accounts? Can some banks deny us, or no? How about credit cards? Can we make credit cards or no?

Yes you can open a Bank account after you get your SSN card.
Credit Cards yes but it might take a while since your social will be new.the best card to start is Discover or Capital one ( let me know if you need a link to apply for the Discover)


2) What about phone contracts? I want to use my name for my family's phone contract (instead of a friend's, like we've been doing), is that possible to do with DACA?

Yes you can put bills under your name

3) Can we travel via airlines in the US? What documents do we need to show when we travel in airplanes through states?

Yes you can travel with your state ID or DL

Thanks


Good luck
__________________
I sent my application on 8/29/13USPS delivered on 8/30/13.USCIS acceptance routed to TEXAS center 9/3/13. USCIS text & email 9/08/13 at 10:54pm.USCIS Texas Center acceptance letters9/10/13. biometrics appt letter received 9/16/13 Biometrics done 9/27/13 at 9:45am Name Updated 10/29/ 13 US.Rep Inquiry 3/18/14 US REp Resp 4/4/14 RFE 4/30/14 RFE return 5/30 RFEreceived6/3APPROVED 6/25/14 EAD card in hand 7/2/2014
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
latinbaby83
View Public Profile
Send a private message to latinbaby83
Find all posts by latinbaby83
#3
02-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
From Minnesota
Joined in Nov 2009
6,010 posts
Demise's Avatar
Demise
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytest View Post
Well, my daca was approved after a month wait, and I just recently got my beginner's permit. I need to keep that for 6 months, then I will be able to get my driver's license . I have a few questions regarding what we can, and can't do, with deferred action.


1) Can we start bank accounts? Can some banks deny us, or no? How about credit cards? Can we make credit cards or no?

2) What about phone contracts? I want to use my name for my family's phone contract (instead of a friend's, like we've been doing), is that possible to do with DACA?

3) Can we travel via airlines in the US? What documents do we need to show when we travel in airplanes through states?

Thanks
1) Don't need DACA in the first place. I started one using only a foreign passport and a ITIN notice. State ID or EAD and social security card are enough to open a bank account.

Same goes for credit cards but you need credit generally to obtain a credit card.

2) Don't need DACA for that either.

3) Yes. Just use your state ID card or driver's license. Make sure that the flight does not transfer anyone abroad.
__________________
LPR these days
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
Demise
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Demise
Find all posts by Demise
#4
02-27-2014, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
Joined in Oct 2012
180 posts
jcat's Avatar
jcat
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytest View Post
Well, my daca was approved after a month wait, and I just recently got my beginner's permit. I need to keep that for 6 months, then I will be able to get my driver's license . I have a few questions regarding what we can, and can't do, with deferred action.


1) Can we start bank accounts? Can some banks deny us, or no? How about credit cards? Can we make credit cards or no?

2) What about phone contracts? I want to use my name for my family's phone contract (instead of a friend's, like we've been doing), is that possible to do with DACA?

3) Can we travel via airlines in the US? What documents do we need to show when we travel in airplanes through states?

Thanks
1) You can start bank accounts without a SSN. I had a bank account with BoA 2 years before DACA. I got a credit card a year after I got my SSN+Work Permit. I recommending waiting a bit so that your SSN gets into the system. Getting denied will cause your credit score to go down. (Don't apply for a lot of credit cards either)

2) Not sure about phone contracts. I know some phone contracts do a credit check (?) not sure. Your SSN is new so there might be an error. I'm sure there are phone contracts without the credit check.

3) All you need to travel by plane within the US is 1) A valid passport that is not expired (Doesn't have to be US passport) 2) State ID/Drivers License (That is not expired)
__________________
Sent: 8/15/12 Biometrics: Completed on 9/17/12 (not a walk-in)
Service Center: my app went to Nebraska (LIN)
EAD: APPROVED ON FRIDAY 11/2 Received Card: THURSDAY 11/8
DACA: APPROVED ON SUNDAY 11/4 SSN: Applied: 11/9 Card Received: 11/17
CA Permit: 11/19
CA DL: Passed 12/7
DL arrived 12/14
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
jcat
View Public Profile
Send a private message to jcat
Find all posts by jcat


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Contact Us - DREAM Act Portal - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.