• Home
  • Today
  • Advocacy
  • Forum
Donate
  • login
  • register
Home

They need you!

Forum links

  • Recent changes
  • Member list
  • Search
  • Register
Search Forums
 
Advanced Search
Go to Page...

Resources

  • Do I qualify?
  • In-state tuition
  • FAQ
  • Ways to legalize
  • Feedback
  • Contact us

Join our list

National calendar of events

«  

September

  »
S M T W T F S
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
 
 
 
Sync with this calendar
DAP Forums > DREAM Act > The Lounge

Student Loans for DACA - Page 2

  • View
  • Post new reply
  • Thread tools
  • ‹ previous
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • next ›
#11
11-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Nov 2012
15,081 posts
Pianoswithoutfaith's Avatar
Pianoswithoutfaith
30 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouMaySayImADreamer View Post
Interesting. Do they usually require you to send in proof of citizenship/residency? I've never apply for a scholarship before just because I didn;t think I would qualify. I've been looking at lists of resources for dreamers but all the links I have found are expired.
Do you think the financial aid office at my school would be helpful at all? They say they can help locate scholarships but the whole DACA status thing is so complicated to explain that I don't want to bother if they're just going turn me around anyways.

Thanks


No, those people are not trained to understand what DACA is. All they know is to say no if you are not a PR/USC. I suggest you look for resources as the person above has posted and ASK AROUND. I am pretty sure at your school there posters about scholarships and such. And I am pretty sure they have stuff like USC only somewhere. Well, just sent an application and see what happens. Even if says need not apply. You just never know. I was declined LOTS of times and eventually a few organizations sent me information about potential scholarships and applied there.



You just have to not give up and give it a shot anyways. The worse is being declined and thats it. But what if they let you in
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Face View Post
I personally knew that if he wins he's not going to be touching DACA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Face View Post
I hope Trump wins second term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBefore1984 View Post
Tranny is not derogatory term dummy
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
Pianoswithoutfaith
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Pianoswithoutfaith
Find all posts by Pianoswithoutfaith
#12
11-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Member
From Hawaii
Joined in Apr 2013
84 posts
YouMaySayImADreamer's Avatar
YouMaySayImADreamer
0 AP
Thank you so much! You guys are totally right, it's definitely worth a try.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
YouMaySayImADreamer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to YouMaySayImADreamer
Find all posts by YouMaySayImADreamer
#13
03-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Junior Member
Joined in Mar 2014
1 posts
marauder2003
0 AP
Chyno,

What if I don't have an unexpired passport with a I-94 form. However, I have been granted DACA and have the card and an alien number. I have a SSN too. Can I get that loan?
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
marauder2003
View Public Profile
Send a private message to marauder2003
Find all posts by marauder2003
#14
03-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Member
Joined in Dec 2010
65 posts
mmohs2
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyno View Post
I got an international student loan from Sallie Mae (10k at 11%) but the trick is getting a USC to cosign the loan
does the cosigner have to have good credit ? what about no credit at all.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
mmohs2
View Public Profile
Send a private message to mmohs2
Find all posts by mmohs2
#15
06-18-2014, 07:25 AM
Junior Member
Joined in Jun 2014
1 posts
undocufisiks
0 AP
I have a question, did you need to have a credit card when you applied for the student loan at Sallie Mae? I don't know if that played any role. I have no credit score at the moment, and am wondering if Sallie Mae looks at your credit score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyno View Post
I have the international Sallie Mae student loan. You need to send an e-mail requesting the application (with school federal code) and then you get an e-mail telling you what you need. I submitted my Passport, EAD, application forms and the application from the co-signer. My cosigner is only a green card holder. Afterwards they asked for my co-signers green card and I sent it in.

I was approved in less than a month and they sent the money directly to the school. Here is the e-mail:

Dear Student,

Thank you for your recent request. Please download, print, complete and sign the attached application. If you are adding a co-signer please ensure that their portion is also completed, and signed. (Please keep in mind that foreign international students require a co-signer that is either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.)

Please note that valid Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) documents may be required to finalize your loan, and have funds disbursed to your school. Acceptable documents include:

· Student Visa (type F1, H1B, J1, or M1). If the student is already in the U.S. and the expiration date on the student visa has passed, we require an I-94 with a future expiration date.

· Valid passport with photo and current CIS Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) with any of the following classifications:
F-1 and D/S; J-1 and D/S; M-1 and D/S; or H1B
Public Interest Parolee (PIP)
Asylum status granted indefinitely
Refugee status granted indefinitely

· Valid passport with photo and current CIS Form I-688B or I-766 (Employment Authorization) that entitles the student to work and attend school in the U.S.

Documents may be sent via upload by accessing "upload.salliemae.com", or by mailing the documents to: PO Box 9435, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773-9435.

You may also submit via fax if sending within the United States to 1-888-777-7562. Please be advised if faxing documents enlarge and lighten the copies to ensure the letters and numbers are legible for efficient processing.

We appreciate you considering Sallie Mae for your scholastic needs.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
undocufisiks
View Public Profile
Send a private message to undocufisiks
Find all posts by undocufisiks
#16
06-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
Joined in Aug 2012
111 posts
sdh02
0 AP
Just to give you guys some update on my recent application to discover loan. I applied as international student. All I provided them was I-766 (EAD) and my SSN as verification documents. They didn't even ask me about DACA or provide valid visa or i-20, etc..
Now, you only need to have some credit-worthy PR/USC cosigner. Fortunately my uncle did this for me and I also have 1.5 year of established credit history (4~5 credit cards with 710 credit score) but once you pass the credit check and don't mention about DACA and your status, you will probably be fine. I already selected my loan term and waiting for school certification. I will post update once this process is completed. Good luck to all of you guys!
Last edited by sdh02; 06-18-2014 at 10:31 AM..
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
sdh02
View Public Profile
Send a private message to sdh02
Find all posts by sdh02
#17
06-18-2014, 08:09 PM
BANNED
Joined in Sep 2009
1,399 posts
Chyno
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by undocufisiks View Post
I have a question, did you need to have a credit card when you applied for the student loan at Sallie Mae? I don't know if that played any role. I have no credit score at the moment, and am wondering if Sallie Mae looks at your credit score.
Sallie Mae does not give loans to us anymore.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
Chyno
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Chyno
#18
06-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Junior Member
Joined in Jun 2014
5 posts
yunao7754
0 AP
is there any other private loan places I should try out then?
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
yunao7754
View Public Profile
Send a private message to yunao7754
Find all posts by yunao7754
#19
06-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Junior Member
Joined in Jun 2014
5 posts
yunao7754
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyno View Post
Sallie Mae does not give loans to us anymore.
Is there any Other loans I should try instead of Sallie mae?
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
yunao7754
View Public Profile
Send a private message to yunao7754
Find all posts by yunao7754
#20
06-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Aug 2012
111 posts
sdh02
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunao7754 View Post
Is there any Other loans I should try instead of Sallie mae?
Try Discover loan. They cover up to 100% of education cost and all you need is PR cosigner
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
sdh02
View Public Profile
Send a private message to sdh02
Find all posts by sdh02
  • ‹ previous
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • next ›


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Contact Us - DREAM Act Portal - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.