• Home
  • Today
  • Advocacy
  • Forum
Donate
  • login
  • register
Home

Forum links

  • Recent changes
  • Member list
  • Search
  • Register
Search Forums
 
Advanced Search
Go to Page...
DAP Forums > DREAM Act > The Lounge

Decision time... - Page 3

  • View
  • Post new reply
  • Thread tools
  • ‹ previous
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#21
12-01-2018, 11:07 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Aug 2011
5,715 posts
IamAman's Avatar
IamAman
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakapoa2 View Post
oh as someone who had a final order of deportation, it's a bitch. i had one and it sucked trend carefully. i didn't hire any lawyer, my US citizen husband confidence basically did it for me. i was lucky!!!
Another one of my siblings who was in the same boat as me did this but that was over a 15 years ago when the environment while not safe was MUCH better than it is now. It also cost a shit ton of lawyer money - I think around 12 grand after it was all said and done.

Even though their marriage was 100% legit, and they are still together, and it was a better time politically, it was still the scariest thing to have a deportation order on your record (to answer other people's question, they did confirm it back then and I don't need to reconfirm what i already know) and go to sleep at night.

But anyway, legitimate marriage to a USC has the highest success rate so if I was married to a USC now, I would probably take the chance, even though ICE doesn't seem to give that much of a shit right now and even arrest people with a kid who are going to an interview.

The rest of you can call me chicken for not going forward right now but it's not your neck on the line with a deportation order so I'm going to sit on the sidelines for a while longer. It pains me to do it, I had made up my mind to not wait this time, but even if I have to wait till 2021 until a Dream Act type law is passed, it sure as hell beats sitting in a detention facility till then. One thing I've learned is that even if you think life can't get any worse, it shows you that it can get much much worse.

I'll revisit the issue in a few months when the visa actually becomes available...2021 however is the likeliest time.
__________________
Late 40's Dreamer (Holy Fucking shit I'm almost 50 and still dealing with this), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
IamAman
View Public Profile
Send a private message to IamAman
Find all posts by IamAman
#22
12-01-2018, 11:50 PM
BANNED
Joined in Feb 2015
2,064 posts
DACA-IR-DA
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAman View Post
Another one of my siblings who was in the same boat as me did this but that was over a 15 years ago when the environment while not safe was MUCH better than it is now. It also cost a shit ton of lawyer money - I think around 12 grand after it was all said and done.

Even though their marriage was 100% legit, and they are still together, and it was a better time politically, it was still the scariest thing to have a deportation order on your record (to answer other people's question, they did confirm it back then and I don't need to reconfirm what i already know) and go to sleep at night.

But anyway, legitimate marriage to a USC has the highest success rate so if I was married to a USC now, I would probably take the chance, even though ICE doesn't seem to give that much of a shit right now and even arrest people with a kid who are going to an interview.

The rest of you can call me chicken for not going forward right now but it's not your neck on the line with a deportation order so I'm going to sit on the sidelines for a while longer. It pains me to do it, I had made up my mind to not wait this time, but even if I have to wait till 2021 until a Dream Act type law is passed, it sure as hell beats sitting in a detention facility till then. One thing I've learned is that even if you think life can't get any worse, it shows you that it can get much much worse.

I'll revisit the issue in a few months when the visa actually becomes available...2021 however is the likeliest time.
$12k for what kind of work? What forms? NTA issued? Married to a USC has benefits but nothing to do removal orders. The judge has the power to make that decision based on individual’s history in USA. It’s about moral character. You should keep pro active and consult other attorneys in the meanwhile.

Dream Act might even pass in the lame duck.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
DACA-IR-DA
View Public Profile
Find all posts by DACA-IR-DA
#23
12-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
Joined in Aug 2011
5,715 posts
IamAman's Avatar
IamAman
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DACA-IR-DA View Post
$12k for what kind of work? What forms? NTA issued? Married to a USC has benefits but nothing to do removal orders. The judge has the power to make that decision based on individual’s history in USA. It’s about moral character. You should keep pro active and consult other attorneys in the meanwhile.

Dream Act might even pass in the lame duck.
Lawyers aren't cheap and unless something is a straight forward filling out of forms (ie. if you're legally here and are just adjusting your status), they charge by the hour and it takes time to go over all your existing paper work. There is nothing free. You talk to them on the phone and they charge you. They show up to your interview, they charge you.

You keep asking the same questions over and over so I don't know what answer you want from me. I already told you that marriage has the benefit of not having to go through 245i . That alone avoids a lot of nastiness and marriage gets more sympathy. I have talked to other lawyers over the years.
__________________
Late 40's Dreamer (Holy Fucking shit I'm almost 50 and still dealing with this), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
IamAman
View Public Profile
Send a private message to IamAman
Find all posts by IamAman
#24
12-03-2018, 09:27 PM
BANNED
Joined in Feb 2015
2,064 posts
DACA-IR-DA
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAman View Post
Lawyers aren't cheap and unless something is a straight forward filling out of forms (ie. if you're legally here and are just adjusting your status), they charge by the hour and it takes time to go over all your existing paper work. There is nothing free. You talk to them on the phone and they charge you. They show up to your interview, they charge you.

You keep asking the same questions over and over so I don't know what answer you want from me. I already told you that marriage has the benefit of not having to go through 245i . That alone avoids a lot of nastiness and marriage gets more sympathy. I have talked to other lawyers over the years.
It depends on the lawyer. Some just charge one flat fee up front.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
DACA-IR-DA
View Public Profile
Find all posts by DACA-IR-DA
#25
12-04-2018, 08:53 PM
BANNED
Joined in Feb 2015
2,064 posts
DACA-IR-DA
0 AP
So I think waiting a little bit more might be the best decision.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
DACA-IR-DA
View Public Profile
Find all posts by DACA-IR-DA
#26
12-08-2018, 02:14 AM
BANNED
Joined in Feb 2015
2,064 posts
DACA-IR-DA
0 AP
Any updates?
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
DACA-IR-DA
View Public Profile
Find all posts by DACA-IR-DA
#27
12-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Feb 2012
775 posts
juvi
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakapoa2 View Post
oh as someone who had a final order of deportation, it's a bitch. i had one and it sucked trend carefully. i didn't hire any lawyer, my US citizen husband confidence basically did it for me. i was lucky!!!
Can you expand on how you got rid of final order?
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
juvi
View Public Profile
Send a private message to juvi
Find all posts by juvi
#28
12-09-2018, 05:35 PM
BANNED
Joined in Feb 2015
2,064 posts
DACA-IR-DA
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvi View Post
Can you expand on how you got rid of final order?
IJ can cancel the removal.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
DACA-IR-DA
View Public Profile
Find all posts by DACA-IR-DA
#29
05-29-2023, 09:08 PM
BANNED
Joined in Feb 2015
2,064 posts
DACA-IR-DA
0 AP
Any update on your case?
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
DACA-IR-DA
View Public Profile
Find all posts by DACA-IR-DA
  • ‹ previous
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Contact Us - DREAM Act Portal - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.