• Home
  • Today
  • Advocacy
  • Forum
Donate
  • login
  • register
Home

They need you!

Forum links

  • Recent changes
  • Member list
  • Search
  • Register
Search Forums
 
Advanced Search
Go to Page...

Resources

  • Do I qualify?
  • In-state tuition
  • FAQ
  • Ways to legalize
  • Feedback
  • Contact us

Join our list

National calendar of events

«  

September

  »
S M T W T F S
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
 
 
 
Sync with this calendar
DAP Forums > DREAM Act > The Lounge

Hospital bill

  • View
  • Post new reply
  • Thread tools
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • next ›
#1
11-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Member
Joined in Jun 2009
58 posts
shl6737
0 AP
Hey guys, I have a question and wondering if anyone can answer. I broke my arm a few years ago and I went to the ER. I gave them my name, phone # and address. I did not give them a SS# because I didn't have one at the time. They sent me bills but I ignored them and they sent it over to a collection agency. I just got a call from the collection agency today asking me to settle and clear it on my "credit report". I got my SS# last week and I no longer live in that old address (if it matters).

So my question is: Will that debt mess up my "credit" or hurt me even though they don't have any information on me besides my name and phone number? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
__________________
Sent to USCIS Chicago - 08/22/2012 from NY
Date of I-797 C Notice of Action - 9/4/12
Date of Biometrics Appointment - 9/19/12
EAD Approved - 10/25/12 EAD Received: 10/31/12
SS Applied: 11/5/12 SS Received: 11/9/12
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
shl6737
View Public Profile
Send a private message to shl6737
Find all posts by shl6737
#2
11-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
From Connecticut
Joined in Mar 2009
8,670 posts
2Face's Avatar
2Face
0 AP
Just over two years ago, I broke my left forearm and required surgery to fix it. LUCKILY, I was in school at that time so I did have at least some type of insurance that paid for the doctors fees. Like you, I had given them all my info. I thought everything was cleared up. But about a year ago, I started receiving hospital bills. But I think all that has been cleared up because my dad made a few calls and demanded they stop sending us any further collection bills because my university was responsible for everything. This was a while ago like I told you. Just a week ago, I received my credit report from experian and guess what...none of those hospital bills are on it! And my surgery was done in New York and I live in CT. I really don't think this will go on your credit report. You're starting off with a fresh SSN and you said you moved as well. Don't stress over this.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
2Face
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 2Face
Find all posts by 2Face
#3
11-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Aug 2012
2,308 posts
tommydreamer's Avatar
tommydreamer
0 AP
If you didn't provide a ssn it will not. However you should compensate the physician that fixed you. There's ton of options to do so.
__________________
NYC (8/17) to Chicago lockbox (8/21) to Vermont Processing Center (8/30)
797/Biometrics received / completed 8/30
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
tommydreamer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to tommydreamer
Find all posts by tommydreamer
#4
11-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Member
Joined in Jun 2009
58 posts
shl6737
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Face View Post
Just over two years ago, I broke my left forearm and required surgery to fix it. LUCKILY, I was in school at that time so I did have at least some type of insurance that paid for the doctors fees. Like you, I had given them all my info. I thought everything was cleared up. But about a year ago, I started receiving hospital bills. But I think all that has been cleared up because my dad made a few calls and demanded they stop sending us any further collection bills because my university was responsible for everything. This was a while ago like I told you. Just a week ago, I received my credit report from experian and guess what...none of those hospital bills are on it! And my surgery was done in New York and I live in CT. I really don't think this will go on your credit report. You're starting off with a fresh SSN and you said you moved as well. Don't stress over this.
Hey thanks for the info! I thought I had cleared the debt but the lady from the collection agency said I cleared it with the hospital but this was from the physicians so I'm like WTF?? They should take it with the hospital, not me! She was being a bitch over the phone so I just hung up on her LOL. I live in NY but I went to the ER in NJ. Well I'm relieved to know it won't affect me. Thanks a lot!
__________________
Sent to USCIS Chicago - 08/22/2012 from NY
Date of I-797 C Notice of Action - 9/4/12
Date of Biometrics Appointment - 9/19/12
EAD Approved - 10/25/12 EAD Received: 10/31/12
SS Applied: 11/5/12 SS Received: 11/9/12
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
shl6737
View Public Profile
Send a private message to shl6737
Find all posts by shl6737
#5
11-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
From Connecticut
Joined in Mar 2009
8,670 posts
2Face's Avatar
2Face
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shl6737 View Post
Hey thanks for the info! I thought I had cleared the debt but the lady from the collection agency said I cleared it with the hospital but this was from the physicians so I'm like WTF?? They should take it with the hospital, not me! She was being a bitch over the phone so I just hung up on her LOL. I live in NY but I went to the ER in NJ. Well I'm relieved to know it won't affect me. Thanks a lot!
Like Tommy said..u sure its not the other way around? How did you clear it? You had some sort of insurance? The hospitals will usually write off their bills. You should arrange some sort of payment with the physician.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
2Face
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 2Face
Find all posts by 2Face
#6
11-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Member
Joined in Jun 2009
58 posts
shl6737
0 AP
The hospital had some sort of plan where if you don't have income then you can apply for it and they'll take care of the bill for you and I signed up for the plan. All they wanted was that I sent them an affidavit saying that I live with my parents and I don't have a job or any income. That's why I thought everything was taken care of and the lady said these aren't from the hospital, they are from the physician. The bill is over $1000 so there's no way I'm paying for that because I can't afford to.
__________________
Sent to USCIS Chicago - 08/22/2012 from NY
Date of I-797 C Notice of Action - 9/4/12
Date of Biometrics Appointment - 9/19/12
EAD Approved - 10/25/12 EAD Received: 10/31/12
SS Applied: 11/5/12 SS Received: 11/9/12
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
shl6737
View Public Profile
Send a private message to shl6737
Find all posts by shl6737
#7
11-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Oct 2012
567 posts
Cloudless
0 AP
Without SSN they can't mess your credit. If it somehow shows up on your credit report you can dispute it with the credit reporting agency. If you want to make payment to the hospital, try dealing with the hospital directly. As a rule of thumb never deal with collection agencies, they are all slimeballs that can't be trusted with anything. You can't be sure that a collection agency is going to mark your debt paid even if you pay them in full, and they also have the habit of ballooning your debt unjustifiably.

You can send them a letter by certified mail requesting them to cease calling you. You can legally do that, and they are legally required to honor it. They can't contact you anymore except one time to tell you what they're going to do next.
http://credit.about.com/od/debtcolle...eanddesist.htm

If the debt is 7 years old, it can't go on your credit report. Even if it's on the report, it will automatically be removed after 7 years.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
Cloudless
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Cloudless
Find all posts by Cloudless
#8
11-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Aug 2012
2,308 posts
tommydreamer's Avatar
tommydreamer
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shl6737 View Post
The hospital had some sort of plan where if you don't have income then you can apply for it and they'll take care of the bill for you and I signed up for the plan. All they wanted was that I sent them an affidavit saying that I live with my parents and I don't have a job or any income. That's why I thought everything was taken care of and the lady said these aren't from the hospital, they are from the physician. The bill is over $1000 so there's no way I'm paying for that because I can't afford to.
Facility and physician are two different billing methodologies. However, if you settled with the hospital it should cover both as charity care. In the future don't go out side of NYC billing gets a lot more complex.
__________________
NYC (8/17) to Chicago lockbox (8/21) to Vermont Processing Center (8/30)
797/Biometrics received / completed 8/30
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
tommydreamer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to tommydreamer
Find all posts by tommydreamer
#9
11-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Aug 2012
2,308 posts
tommydreamer's Avatar
tommydreamer
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudless View Post
Without SSN they can't mess your credit. If it somehow shows up on your credit report you can dispute it with the credit reporting agency. If you want to make payment to the hospital, try dealing with the hospital directly. As a rule of thumb never deal with collection agencies, they are all slimeballs that can't be trusted with anything. You can't be sure that a collection agency is going to mark your debt paid even if you pay them in full, and they also have the habit of ballooning your debt unjustifiably.

You can send them a letter by certified mail requesting them to cease calling you. You can legally do that, and they are legally required to honor it. They can't contact you anymore except one time to tell you what they're going to do next.
http://credit.about.com/od/debtcolle...eanddesist.htm

If the debt is 7 years old, it can't go on your credit report. Even if it's on the report, it will automatically be removed after 7 years.
I read the first part and it's horrible advice. What your saying constitutes fraud, on an open forum, in the future think before you post.
__________________
NYC (8/17) to Chicago lockbox (8/21) to Vermont Processing Center (8/30)
797/Biometrics received / completed 8/30
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
tommydreamer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to tommydreamer
Find all posts by tommydreamer
#10
11-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Member
Joined in Jun 2009
58 posts
shl6737
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudless View Post
Without SSN they can't mess your credit. If it somehow shows up on your credit report you can dispute it with the credit reporting agency. If you want to make payment to the hospital, try dealing with the hospital directly. As a rule of thumb never deal with collection agencies, they are all slimeballs that can't be trusted with anything. You can't be sure that a collection agency is going to mark your debt paid even if you pay them in full, and they also have the habit of ballooning your debt unjustifiably.

You can send them a letter by certified mail requesting them to cease calling you. You can legally do that, and they are legally required to honor it. They can't contact you anymore except one time to tell you what they're going to do next.
http://credit.about.com/od/debtcolle...eanddesist.htm

If the debt is 7 years old, it can't go on your credit report. Even if it's on the report, it will automatically be removed after 7 years.
Thanks for the info! I might just do that if they continue to call me..
__________________
Sent to USCIS Chicago - 08/22/2012 from NY
Date of I-797 C Notice of Action - 9/4/12
Date of Biometrics Appointment - 9/19/12
EAD Approved - 10/25/12 EAD Received: 10/31/12
SS Applied: 11/5/12 SS Received: 11/9/12
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
shl6737
View Public Profile
Send a private message to shl6737
Find all posts by shl6737
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • next ›


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Contact Us - DREAM Act Portal - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.