• Home
  • Today
  • Advocacy
  • Forum
Donate
  • login
  • register
Home

They need you!

Forum links

  • Recent changes
  • Member list
  • Search
  • Register
Search Forums
 
Advanced Search
Go to Page...

Resources

  • Do I qualify?
  • In-state tuition
  • FAQ
  • Ways to legalize
  • Feedback
  • Contact us

Join our list

National calendar of events

«  

September

  »
S M T W T F S
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
 
 
 
Sync with this calendar
DAP Forums > DREAM Act > The Lounge

Universities in Florida

  • View
  • Post new reply
  • Thread tools
  • 1
  • 2
  • next ›
#1
03-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
From FL
Joined in Sep 2008
425 posts
RenzoM
0 AP
I know it's probably been discussed plenty of times. But how do I go about applying for the Universities down here in FL. without a SSN.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
RenzoM
View Public Profile
Send a private message to RenzoM
Find all posts by RenzoM
#2
03-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
From Miami, FL
Joined in Aug 2008
248 posts
maurolv's Avatar
maurolv
0 AP
As far as I know in Miami you have UM (which is private and freaking expensive), FIU which won't give you in-state tuition without a SS# and Miami Dade College who doesn't give you in-state either and you'll be paying $220/credit.

And I think it's pretty much the same for all the other universities in FL. Florida, sadly, isn't a very friendly state for people like us.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
maurolv
View Public Profile
Send a private message to maurolv
Find all posts by maurolv
#3
03-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Sep 2007
549 posts
S.Aran's Avatar
S.Aran
0 AP
You may want to go here for some of that info.

Call FAU, BCC, MDC depending on what you have who knows how they can work with you. Dont give up just because on representative told you NO, because quite frankly I could have been elsewhere had I tried harder after I graduated High School.
__________________
T: @JuanSaaa
E: [email protected]
www.juansaaa.com
www.dreamactivist.org
DreamActivist.org Forums
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
S.Aran
View Public Profile
Send a private message to S.Aran
Visit S.Aran's homepage!
Find all posts by S.Aran
#4
03-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Member
From FL
Joined in Sep 2008
425 posts
RenzoM
0 AP
Thank you very much. One more thing, what would I put instead of a SSN?
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
RenzoM
View Public Profile
Send a private message to RenzoM
Find all posts by RenzoM
#5
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Sep 2007
549 posts
S.Aran's Avatar
S.Aran
0 AP
Dont lie.
Honesty is always the best policy, so simply approach the univeristy if you can go there in person and sit down with any academic advisor that is willing to see you.
Emailing them is a great tool, do you have any university in mind?

Read about FAU, call them see what they can do for you.

As for the SSN part, youre best talking to them first, and leaving it blank since you dont have one.

PS- Im no expert, but a piece of advice. Always consult a lawyer if you have any legal questions.
__________________
T: @JuanSaaa
E: [email protected]
www.juansaaa.com
www.dreamactivist.org
DreamActivist.org Forums
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
S.Aran
View Public Profile
Send a private message to S.Aran
Visit S.Aran's homepage!
Find all posts by S.Aran
#6
03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Senior Member
From The Sunshine State, FL
Joined in Dec 2006
2,863 posts
HOPEFULDREAMER's Avatar
HOPEFULDREAMER
0 AP
From what I know, FAU will not consider an undocumented student for the tuition waiver. In their policy, it clearly states the student must have either a valid I-20 or have a student visa (or they must have permanent residency, blah blah blah). When I was calling to see if I qualified for the waiver, I spoke to people in financial aid and the international student center and they both told me no (and these weren't just the receptionists, btw). The "no" came after I told them I had both a SSN, Alien number, and various documents I have from USCIS.

The university that has been most friendly with DREAMers has been FIU by a long shot and they don't offer us anything other than being able to pay in-state tuition. My cousin went to MDC on a full-paid scholarship but she had really high grades in high school. These could be options for you if your grades are up to par.
__________________
Application Sent: 8/22/2012 to Dallas Lockbox from Miami
Application Received: 8/27/2012 to Vermont Service Center
G-1145: 8/29/2012 at 6PM, Receipt #: EAC129088309*
Biometrics: Walk-in 9/12/2012 @ 11am for 9/19/2012
Approval Date: 10/25/2012!!!
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
HOPEFULDREAMER
View Public Profile
Send a private message to HOPEFULDREAMER
Find all posts by HOPEFULDREAMER
#7
03-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
From Miami, FL
Joined in Aug 2008
248 posts
maurolv's Avatar
maurolv
0 AP
FIU?? In-state?? Really?...

Dude, I'm paying $950/class at MDC!!!...
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
maurolv
View Public Profile
Send a private message to maurolv
Find all posts by maurolv
#8
03-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
Joined in Nov 2008
189 posts
minus
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurolv View Post
FIU?? In-state?? Really?...

Dude, I'm paying $950/class at MDC!!!...
Dude...

The only way you can pay In-State tuition as undocumented student in Florida is if your parents are residents (obviously, they have to pay taxes and have you listed as depended) then and only then you'll be able to qualify for state rate. This state law is the reason why I'm label as Florida resident..
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
minus
View Public Profile
Send a private message to minus
Find all posts by minus
#9
03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
From Miami, FL
Joined in Aug 2008
248 posts
maurolv's Avatar
maurolv
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by minus View Post
Dude...

The only way you can pay In-State tuition as undocumented student in Florida is if your parents are residents (obviously, they have to pay taxes and have you listed as depended) then and only then you'll be able to qualify for state rate. This state law is the reason why I'm label as Florida resident..
Dude,

I am 99% sure that doesn't apply for MDC. To get in-state tuition you must have not only a SS# but also a legal status. You have to show proof of legal residence, citizenship, etc. And then they ask you for your parents' taxes as proof of FL residency.

But I want to know how to get in-state at FIU!

I know there is (or was) no way, until I read: "The university that has been most friendly with DREAMers has been FIU by a long shot and they don't offer us anything other than being able to pay in-state tuition."
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
maurolv
View Public Profile
Send a private message to maurolv
Find all posts by maurolv
#10
03-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Senior Member
Joined in Nov 2008
189 posts
minus
0 AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurolv View Post
Dude,

I am 99% sure that doesn't apply for MDC. To get in-state tuition you must have not only a SS# but also a legal status. You have to show proof of legal residence, citizenship, etc. And then they ask you for your parents' taxes as proof of FL residency.

But I want to know how to get in-state at FIU!

I know there is (or was) no way, until I read: "The university that has been most friendly with DREAMers has been FIU by a long shot and they don't offer us anything other than being able to pay in-state tuition."
I don't have a social. There is a law in state of Florida that allows those whose parents are Residents/Citizens to pay tuition as Florida Resident just like I said in my previous post. I just graduated from MDC paying as a Florida Resident.. I'll be attending FIU as a Florida Resident as well.
  • Reply With Quote
Post your reply or quote more messages.
minus
View Public Profile
Send a private message to minus
Find all posts by minus
  • 1
  • 2
  • next ›


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Contact Us - DREAM Act Portal - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.