In-state Tuition in the State of California

Students residing in California and meet the following requirements are eligible to pay in-state tuition at California colleges and universities.

Effective as of October 12, 2001.


  • Attend a California high school for three or more years
  • Graduate from a California high school or receive a GED from California
  • Provide an affidavit stating the student will apply for legalization once he/she is eligible to do so

More Information

AB 540- UC Document

College guide for AB540 Students

California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request Form