In-state Tuition in the State of Texas

Undocumented students can pay instate tuition at Texas colleges and universities and are considered residents of Texas if they meet the following requirements.

HB 1403 - Effective as of June 16, 2001

SB 1528 (which amended the original bill (HB 1403) to provide instate tuition to everyone in the state meeting the requirements) - Effective as of September 1, 2005.


  • Lived in Texas three years prior to high school graduation or obtaining a GED from Texas or
  • Resided in Texas the (full) year prior to enrollment in an institution of higher education
  • Provide an affidavit stating intent to apply for Permanent Residency when eligible to do so

More Information


Actions-SB 1528

Text- SB 1528

Text- HB 1403